Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mash Merge function doesn't work as anticipated with a Falloff Object

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
hkory
114 Views, 4 Replies

Mash Merge function doesn't work as anticipated with a Falloff Object

I was hoping to stagger the animation of individual instances from one position to another by Merging between two Mash networks and then adding a Falloff Object to the Merge.

I was expecting that as the leading edge of the Falloff moves over the network, only those instances within it's boundarys would start to move to the second network's position, and then only when entirely encompassed by the inner zone of the falloff object would all of the instances be in the second position.

Instead, the entire network moves at the same time, just as it would if there wasn't a falloff node and you were just changing the Merge's Strength value.  It appears to only start moving when the leading edge of the falloff object crosses the mid-point of the 1st network.

Probably just the way it works, but if anyone can tell me a workaround I'd be very appreciative!

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sepu6
in reply to: hkory

Can you post this network? This is working fine on my simple scene.

maya_rXkO3jg8Fh.gif

maya_5RxY8LvQ1b.png

Message 3 of 5
hkory
in reply to: sepu6

Thank you for your reply.  That's exactly the kind of behavior I'm hoping to get.  But for some reason, it's not.   I tried it with a spherical falloff as well to see if that was the difference, but I'm getting the same odd result.

Message 4 of 5
sepu6
in reply to: hkory

Not sure what you are doing. But here is my file. 

Message 5 of 5
hkory
in reply to: sepu6

I think I figured it out.  I finally got it to work.  The merge node has to go on the network that is parallel to the motion of the falloff object.  I had it on the perpindicular network.  Thank you for taking the time to try this out!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report