Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maps file type and UV inquiry

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PuChiNgBaLLz
291 Views, 4 Replies

Maps file type and UV inquiry

Hi there, i was wondering if there is file format that allows images maps to carry UV id's of every face/polygon, so when updating the UVs there is still a link between the polygons, and the position and area they take on current maps, so they won't have to be baked again or re done if were manually done.

Otherwise i think it would be a time saver file format.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Not clear, how this would work? Will it still work, if user should change topology, where ID's get twisted, new elements introduced?

There's already Ptex technology, are you talking about it?

Otherwise, afaik TIFFs and EXRs can hold such (not clear what kind of) metadata.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 5
PuChiNgBaLLz
in reply to: PuChiNgBaLLz

Didn´t knew about ptex, seems cool. I was talking about a image format that could adopt the UV, so if you change your mind and move a UV shell inside the current UV tile the texture change too, but as i think about it should be a Maya feature not a image file format capability, and would be cool if that image get divided by moving UV outside the current UV tile for UDIMS texture.

Message 4 of 5

Does any other 3D software/plug-in does that?

In the Ptex, which isn't the case, afaik, we wouldn't need UVs at all.

As for the process, as you had described, and since I don't know about such software, it sounds something like Maya 2D+Photoshop - a software which would edit multiple textures (or layers) at once as you move an uv-shell across several UDIMs, and would be able to hold and generate detail-preserving content as you offset that shell for a fraction of a texel or scale it up so it occupies more UV-space (should generate new texels). Ideally, the file format then will have to hold all the editing history, otherwise it will be lossy, like an classic JPEG.

At the moment it is probably possible to do something alike by projecting/baking existing texture/s from one object (uv-set) to another object (uv-set), which is what the Substance Painter does. Never done it myself, but still.. those are likely the procedural materials, and you don't manage the UV-space in SP.

And then, it rather sounds like Substance will be able to acquire UV editing tools, than Maya implement full Photoshop capabilities. Both are function-dedicated tools, more or less.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,

Message 5 of 5

By the way, Maya supposedly also has some tools, like Rendering > Lighting/Shading > TransferMaps.. where, as I understood, you can have two copies of a model with different uvs, and the textures can be transferred from one to another. Not exactly how you described it, but still doable.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report