Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to let navigation buttons momentarily change navigation modes?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Henrik_Cederblad
300 Views, 4 Replies

Is there any way to let navigation buttons momentarily change navigation modes?

If memory serves me correctly, back in 2005 when I first used Maya, it would let you start any of the ROTATE, PAN, ZOOM navigation actions, during which you could momentarily press a different mouse button and the corresponding new navigation mode would seamlessly take over. In other words, you were not required to let go of the first navigation button before pressing a new one – and if you released the momentary button while still holding down the first button, Maya would uninterruptingly resume the original navigation mode.

… Is this all gone? I revisited Maya since I just began a 3D programme at university and now realize how much I miss this feature. Blender has it and I truly hope someone will jump in here and say it's achievable in Maya 2022 as well. I believe it might be called momentary keys, or something similar.

While we're at it – and in the same vein – I also wonder if there's a way to momentarily toggle snap with X and J after you've initiated a transform action. Please say there's a way to set this up.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: Henrik_Cederblad

Hi!

This still works with Maya 2022.

(Tested with Maya 2022.2 on Windows.)

However this only works with the left and middle mouse key (not the right one).

Message 3 of 5
Henrik_Cederblad
in reply to: mspeer

Yes, I forgot to mention that I was aware of that. Sorry! … It seemed to me there was a flaw in the current operation where only LMB and MMB works and (annoyingly) if you press RMB during the operation, it breaks the feature alltogether. So I was hoping this halfbaked function might suggest there's a possibility to somehow set this up to work properly … Is that a no go?

Message 4 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: Henrik_Cederblad

Hi!

Sorry, I don't understand you, LMB and RMB work "properly"!

Message 5 of 5
mspeer
in reply to: mspeer

Hi!

Correction, LMB and MMB (not RMB) work properly as in previous Maya versions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report