Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a plugin to import .max files ?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
81386 Views, 13 Replies

Is there a plugin to import .max files ?

there is some sort of plugin that?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmmm....not there I know of...you can import 3ds files.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

I have 3ds max 2016 and Maya 2016 on my system and I can send files back and forth with ease.

In Maya in the [File] menu there is a selection [Send to 3DS Max]

In 3ds Max I use the Application menu and SEND TO MAYA.

You can also use the FBX importer/exporter between programs.

Message 4 of 14
damaggio

I think he means .max not 3ds max that maya can import...you know when you get sometimes free models on the net and they are .max you cannot open those.

Message 5 of 14
damaggio

and FBX converter cannot deal with .max files.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

What I am saying is that if you have a .max file you can use 3ds max to fbx the file and then load it into Maya.

If the question was import .3ds then this is the answer:

Issue:You want to import a 3ds Max file into Maya—specifically a .3ds file.
Solution:Maya Bonus Tools come with a plugin that allows .3ds file import into Maya.
  1. Install the Maya bonus tools from the following link: https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/MAYA/en/Home/Index
(If you have Maya 2014, you can get the plug in at: Maya Bonus Tools Resource Page - Announcing Maya BonusTools 2015!!)

Note: Bonus Tools are provided to you on an "as-is" basis; Autodesk does not provide any support in connection with this collection of tools. However submission of problems and suggestions are encouraged and can be logged through from the Maya Help menu with Report a Problem or Suggest a Feature.
  1. Load the 3dsimport.mll plugin from Window > Settings\Preferences > Plugin Manager.
    Be sure that you import a .3ds file. Autodesk 3ds Max produces both .max files and .3ds files.

Found Here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-im...

And Yes, the fbx data exchange works with existing file data ( ie: an open file--saved as .fbx from within max It is not a file.

CONVERTER.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

I am assuming the one with the initial question has both 3ds max and maya - If so, my initial replay is the correct answer - simply open the .3ds file/or .max file in max and send it to maya - or save it as a fbx and open it in maya - pretty straight foward. If the initial post person does not have max - send me the file and I will convert it for you.

Or if you have the money you could buy the PolyTrans plug-in.

Message 8 of 14
damaggio

Yes,you are correct David, however my answer was in the case one only has Maya software installed...I think that is  his case.

Thanks though .

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Hi,

I had an artist create a 3D Model for me. He used 3DS Max software.

I want to use this 3D model and input into realife photos. I was going to just use photoshop or Adobe new Project Felix (as easy to use and I am a complete beginner)

However, I am on a mac and he has sent me the files in .max format which I cannot open as I can't download 3DS Max. He has tried sending me as a .obj file but when I open this, I loose all the textures and the model is just white.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can solve this? happy to share the files if needed?

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I have the same problem. I have a .max file that I really need to open, but I am on a mac, so I cant get 3ds Max

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

The solution does not answer the question, "Is there a plugin to import .max files?"

Is there?

I too am on a Mac with Maya only, and purchased a 3D model which is a .max file and several .tga files.  I'm looking for a way to load it into Maya without 3D Studio Max involved.  Any help appreciated!

Message 12 of 14
dgorsman

Maybe someone will be kind enough to convert it for you, but don't get into the habit of that.

In the future, I would recommend checking file formats are compatible (or at least convertible) *before* spending money.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 14
kaleb_wyman
in reply to: dgorsman

It's been 12 years since Autodesk acquired Maya in October of 2005, how is it that these two applications still can't open each other's file formats?

Maya should be able to open .max files (on macOS and Windows),  and 3ds Max should be able to open .ma and .mb files.

FBX is only a solution if you have both applications... many do not, especially Mac users (since 3ds Max is Windows-only), and several others may have a Maya subscription only.

You'd think by now these two applications would harness many of the same translators and tools... especially when the same parent company owns and develops both applications.

Message 14 of 14
mspeer
in reply to: kaleb_wyman

Hi!

Different tools, features and file-formats, it's not interchangeable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report