Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to bake MASH mesh animation to an .fbx export? [Maya 2017]

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
brendanluu
12342 Views, 12 Replies

Is it possible to bake MASH mesh animation to an .fbx export? [Maya 2017]

If so, how can I do it?

I'm trying to export this (below) into Unity  MASH.gif

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joffhisbonce
in reply to: brendanluu

hey there, you find a solution to this? I have the exact same problem aha.

Message 3 of 13
pshwayka

You can use the MASH "Bake Instancer to Objects" utility:

1. If you originally created your network with a geometry type of "Mesh," select your MASH instancer and click MASH->Utilities->Switch MASH Geometry Type. 
  2. Select the instancer in the outliner, and click MASH->Utilities->Bake Instancer to Objects.
  3. When the Bake Instancer tool opens, select the channels you want to bake and click "Bake Animation."
  4. The result will be hidden objects under an "Instancer_Objects" group. Expand the group, select the objects, and click Display->Show->Show Selection.
  5. Select the Instancer_Objects group heading and export selection as and FBX. Make sure "animation" is selected in the export settings, and use the appropriate FBX version for Unity.

Disclaimer: I am not a MASH expert, and I know even less about Unity, but the resulting FBX seems to work in Modo and Blender.

Message 4 of 13
pshwayka
in reply to: pshwayka

Sorry...step 1 should say "If you originally created your network with a geometry type of "Mesh," select your MASH waiter and click MASH->Utilities->Switch MASH Geometry Type."  (This will convert the reproMesh to an instancer.)

Message 5 of 13
anirudh.nandavar

@pshwayka You saved me a lot of time on animating a conveyor belt!

I followed this video : animating a tank tread and used your solution to export the animation as .FBX!

Kudos to you!!

Message 6 of 13
pshwayka
in reply to: anirudh.nandavar

Excellent! Glad it's working for you.

Message 7 of 13
Joffhisbonce

This eventually is the method that worked for myself aswell! I tried this process to start with but stupidly had instancers unticked on show! so had a big wild goose chase for a good half a day before realising my mistake aha.

Thanks any ways!
Message 8 of 13
dirkgb30

---Maya 2017 ---

Hey, I am trying to export MASH animation from a MASH instance and I cannot get it to work. 

I have tried exporting it as an instance and as a mesh but neither way shows the animation in Autodesk FBX review software. https://apps.autodesk.com/MAYA/en/Detail/Index?id=6979630331069053932&appLang=en&os=Win64

Could someone please post the exact steps they are taking. 

I have tried so many variations but this is the latest attempt below.

1) File

2) Export all

3) Select FBX export as file type

4) Export all

5) Make sure Animation - Animation = ticked

6) Make sure Geometry - Preserve instances = ticked

7) Bake animation = ticked

😎 Blend shapes = ticket

I have also tried to

1) Mash

2) Bake instancer to objects (no idea what this is doing)

Message 9 of 13
dirkgb30
in reply to: dirkgb30

The very specific problem I have is that it seems as though you cannot export MASH animations that include Bend deformers.

Modelling - Deform - Non Linear - Bend 

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: dirkgb30

Hello, 

Is there any way to turn "Input mesh" used in the Distribute node as an instancer?

I am trying to bake Explode animation, and in order to do that I need to bake the input mesh I assigned in the distribution node 

not the mesh I used to create MASH network. 

FYI, below is the link to the explosion tutorial I followed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEIx9WAX78

I basically want to bake this type of animation and bring it to Unity. 

Thank you so much for any type of help in advance.

Capture.PNG

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

1. If you originally created your network with a geometry type of "Mesh," select your MASH instancer and click MASH->Utilities->Switch MASH Geometry Type. 
  2. Select the instancer in the outliner, and click MASH->Utilities->Bake Instancer to Objects.
  3. When the Bake Instancer tool opens, select the channels you want to bake and click "Bake Animation."
  4. The result will be hidden objects under an "Instancer_Objects" group. Expand the group, select the objects, and click Display->Show->Show Selection.
  5. Select the Instancer_Objects group heading and export selection as and FBX. Make sure "animation" is selected in the export settings, and use the appropriate FBX version for Unity.

Hi there. I have followed the steps above carefully and cannot get my FBX to work. It does not animate even after I have set the export selection with animation ticked on. Is there any other way to do this? 

Thanks

Message 12 of 13
ToreyAlvarez6545

This worked like a charm! Thank you 🙂

Just wanted to add one thing: before "Switch Mash to Geometry" "Freeze Transform" the mesh you are using to create the original Mash (distribute) node, should be hidden in the Outliner, or some scale offsets may not come out in the Instancer node created.

Message 13 of 13
shinjoo8KUAV
in reply to: Anonymous

I;m trying to do this too have you found a solution?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report