Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Information in Regards to Upcoming Maya Release's: 2018 Update 3

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
dale.glandfield
7928 Views, 31 Replies

Important Information in Regards to Upcoming Maya Release's: 2018 Update 3

Maya releases, moving to full installs for Windows Customers

With the release of Maya 2018 update 3 in April, we will be implementing full installs for all subsequent updates.

Instead of the traditional patch(s) for windows install bases. We are letting customers know in advance, should any adjustments to implemented processes need to be made.

This change will improve install and uninstall times.

Customers should be aware:

• Any custom automated install scripts may be affected, if you are using an automated scripts to install a Maya patch, the command line should be update to use the full install command line.
  • The new Installer will uninstall older version of Maya 2018 (+Updates) automatically and install new full version in the same location.
  • Previous Builds (2017 and older) will not be impacted.
Regards
The Maya Team
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

I don’t have any comment for this besides thank you! Looking forward to putting this in action to see the improvement. Hopefully the days of > 20 minutes updates are gone.

Cheers,
Mike

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 3 of 32
slimboJoe
in reply to: Mike_Rochefort

Awesome!  Thanks for listening!  I will miss reading all the complaints (some funny, some scary) but this is great.

Now, let's start a similar complaint storm on Maya PREFERENCES!!!!  How many times has the PREFERENCES folder been a source of crashes and non-working tools, effects, plug-ins, etc?  I'm guessing in the millions.  What's up with that?!?!?

I'm critical of Maya because I love it so much.  AutoDesk, please look at Redshift and Houdini as models of what a small, dedicated team can do.  I would be ecstatic if Maya updates flowed at even 25% of the Redshift development pace (still a grand feat). 

Message 4 of 32

Meh. Still not a very good solution. Better than waiting 60 minutes for an update to install but still not perfect. Why is it so hard to Patch your libraries and just overwrite these files without affecting user profiles (i'm guessing these are deleted as the entire Install is removed first..)

Almost every piece of software I've ever used can achieve this unless you go to a MAJOR release upgrade (which this is not).

Message 5 of 32

@ilustricon

The update won’t touch user profiles, only C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018.

It’s the same way for us on Linux and macOS, except we have to uninstall it ourselves if we feel like it. By doing it this way it can prevent things from going wrong or corrupting data. How this will work with the registry is another question I’d like answered, as it can be a performance impacted besides Windows horrific extraction times.

Cheers,
Mike

Always looking to solve problems, if I'm helpful at all consider dropping a kudos!

Message 6 of 32
oejustin
in reply to: dale.glandfield

2018 Update 2 on OSX (10.12) is one of the most unstable versions of Maya I've ever used - Please hurry! 

Message 7 of 32

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "moving to full installs for Windows Customers" mean? 

Installers like the ones in Linux/Mac (Already updated releases)? 

Thanks.

Message 8 of 32

@ozgurkazancci

That’s exactly what it means. No longer patch files, but rather a complete install just like he way Unix systems handle the update.

Cheers,
Mike

Message 9 of 32

Then, I wonder how do we install it ON Maya 2018 Update 2? If it's a full installation, should we uninstall Maya 2018 (U2) first, before installing this?

If so, wouldn't the old files, "remains" be problem, after uninstallation? 

Message 10 of 32
pavelR.
in reply to: ozgurkazancci

the post by dale explains it already..

• The new Installer will uninstall older version of Maya 2018 (+Updates) automatically and install new full version in the same location.
Message 11 of 32
JohnDraisey
in reply to: oejustin

@Anonymous You obviously never used Maya 2017 =P.

But seriously, the only thing that's consistently reduced Maya 2018 Fatal Errors at my studio is disabling "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available" in Google Chrome. We think it has something to do with GPU utilization conflicts.

I'm happy with this new change as the patches took forever to install. I love clean slates. =]

Message 12 of 32

When will Update 3 be released? It's already April since long 🙂 

Thanks,

Best.

Message 13 of 32
mspeer
in reply to: ozgurkazancci

Hi! It doesn't help to ask, you will not get a precise date and as you said it's still April.
Message 14 of 32

Its great to see the enthusiasm for update 2018.3. We make it a policy to not advertise specific dates. For 2018.3 we have opted to add a few additional customer reported defects to enhance the update. There is a minor delay but we feel its to everyone's advantage.
Message 15 of 32
djonesuk
in reply to: dale.glandfield

@dale.glandfieldwrote:
Its great to see the enthusiasm for update 2018.3. We make it a policy to not advertise specific dates. For 2018.3 we have opted to add a few additional customer reported defects to enhance the update. There is a minor delay but we feel its to everyone's advantage.

Please no more defects, just fixes Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 32
cemsit.bilmez
in reply to: djonesuk

Will update 3 be released today, the last day of April?
Message 17 of 32

Never trust April right ? ))

"We make it a policy to not advertise specific dates"

I would say good addition to other policies you have there and I would add another good policies to existing ones , what about not saying anything at all policy

Are you still developing maya ?

here you can use "I don't know policy" or "we will say when time will come" policy

Or even lets say , can we expect any roadmap sometime this life ? "it doesn't matter policy" will fit the situation

I understand your frustration policy is quite popular also ... 

poor maya 

Message 18 of 32
JohnDraisey
in reply to: alex.motion

Eh, no rush.  2018.2 seems stable and very capable. I honestly don't mind waiting for Siggraph's inevitable 2019 release.

Message 19 of 32
oejustin
in reply to: JohnDraisey

STABLE!?!? 2018.2 on a Mac is an absolute nightmare. One of the most unstable versions ever released. Autodesk should be ashamed... Fix this please!
Message 20 of 32
dale.glandfield
in reply to: oejustin

The MAC experience you are having with 2018.2 sounds frustrating. We would be happy help narrow this down and investigate further if you could provide some specific information.

1. MAC OS Version & Related HW
  2. Steps to reproduce, any errors that are displayed.

Please log an issue here : http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/report_a_bug.html?SelProduct=Maya

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report