Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac, Maya 2018, centre of screen became unresponsive to mouse clicks.

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
EkDoreo
1362 Views, 24 Replies

This seems to have started a few days ago, that I noticed anyway. While using Maya 2018 for MacOS I have a small section about 2" squarish that has become unresponsive to left and right mouse clicks. I have tried many things, too many list specifically. But include changing viewport settings, reset preferences, mac reboots etc. Also tried different mouse type etc. I have also checked behaviour between fullscreen and floating window. The spot doesn't move. Also if I resize the window the spot does not move; it remains in the center of the display and will also effect any controls under that zone. Although once the edge of the maya window no longer covers this area the MacOS screen selection works. Additionally I have lowered the display resolution and it appears the unresponsive zone shifts to reflect it's same coordinates; thus making it closer to the bottom right corner.

-- Amendment --

I forgot to add that I am using:

MacOS 10.13.2 public

2014 iMac 27" retina

Maya 2018 

-- Amendment 2 --

I just noticed that the undo history records the attempted clicks.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
EkDoreo
in reply to: EkDoreo

The area inside the green tape in the photo bellow is the effected zone. Measures approximately 38mm square or 1.5 inch square.

IMG_1568.JPG

Message 3 of 25
EkDoreo

I have also reported this to Apple directly.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous

Please refrain from posting Apple related bugs here. This forum is for reporting and discussing Maya problems and bugs that are created by incapable Autodesk management and developers and their lack of planning and road maps. If your Apple mouse and screen don't work get an "Etch A Sketch" to run Maya. "Etch A Sketch" is a more intelligent OS and cheaper too.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 25
EkDoreo
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for some kind of response. But; excuse me “Apple related bug”? every bug in Maya is either Apple, Microsoft, etc “related” by virtue of being the OS’ they are running on. If you are certain this is the OS’ cause then tell me how so I can pass on better info to them. If not; the developers of Maya need to be made aware of what might be and issue with their software. They can converse with the OS vendor about a solution; should there actually be a bu; this could be hardware but I’m a user, not a developer or hardware engineer. Do not try to suppress my right to not only inform Autodesk of something they need to know but also put info out into public domain, in the most relevant place, incase someone else is having the same issue. This drove me insane until I realised it was a small square of Maya unresponsiveness. I wish I was able to find a post like mine. This issue might be caused by Apple’s OS but the issue only occurring within the Autodesk Maya application window. As far as I know, it could be either so I notified both involved. How am I to respond if Apple emailed me stating it’s a Maya issue and should keep Maya bug complaints off Apple forums.
Message 6 of 25
EkDoreo
in reply to: Anonymous

By the way I did say I tried other devices with the same issue. As far as say getting a PC, that is completely impractical solution.

Message 7 of 25
EkDoreo

I have Updated Maya to the latest version and the issue remains.

Also noticed that if I increase the display resolution to the iMacs Largest (6400x3600) the dead zone reduces in size to about 3 cm (1.18  inches) square which has made it slightly less annoying since I am less likely to click right on it. The small square of tape however is a bit annoying in its own right. It also still only happens within Maya's application window and in no other application at all. Effects selection, too grabbing etc. Maya still records the clicks in history but performs no action either at the time or in undo. I'll try make an onscreen recording to show all this more clearly.

Message 8 of 25
EkDoreo

Just noticed while setting the recording an additional item of information. It seems to be at a fixed offset from the top left corner of the Maya application window and not the screen as I had previously thought. It's x,y position is still relative to the centre of the display resolution but it calculated from the top left 0,0 corner.

e.g.

So to explain this; imagine the Maya application window is maxed to fit the display, the position of the dead zone is basically centered on the display (it is exactly centred horizontally but slightly now from centred vertically). in my iMacs max resolution that position is close to 1525x840 pixels. Now imagine that I now reduce the size of the window and move the window and it will remain at the same coordinate as measured from the top left corner of the Maya application window. Thus shifting its position on the display.

-- Amendment --

I just noticed that the dead zone is currently reducing in size if I squash down the size of the Maya application window. This doesn't help me because it's still based on the size of the display as when Maya was started up and the Maya window gets too small top be useful. I hadn't noticed the shrinkage before the update when I previously tested changing the window size and position. So not certain if this represents a change between the Maya updates. I'm assuming I just didn't notice.

Message 9 of 25
EkDoreo

Ok I'm uploading a screen recording attempting to show you some of the effects in. The recording is top left quarter(ish) of my display so that the dead zone is located approximately bottom right corner of the video. This translates to the center of my display in reality. The Maya application window was reduced to fit into this area. At no point does the recorded area move.

Message 10 of 25
EkDoreo

-- deleted --

Message 11 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

That's a very strange issue. Also thanks for all the provided details.

If not done already:

Please report this problem (bug?) to Autodesk.
Help -> Speak Back -> Report a Problem

- Try different Viewport modes

- Try an other GPU if possible.

Please post your hardware specs (especially GPU):

Message 12 of 25
EkDoreo
in reply to: mspeer

I hadn’t reported it there. Didn’t realise it was a seperate reporting method. Will do that when I get time to consolidate all that info into a single coherent report.

The effect happens in all viewports, tool controls, everything within the Maya application window seems to be effected in some way. E.g. I can’t check a checkbox or move a slider etc. within that zone. I have also tried different viewport renderer (only viewport 2 is available so I can only try that and its legacy version. I’ve also tried altering the settings for it somewhat; toggling Consolidating World, GPU Instancing etc. Defaults also.

Is there the ability to add different viewport renderers that are not installed by default? I assume they are heavily dependant on the GPU installed in the computer.
Message 13 of 25
EkDoreo

It appears to not effect any of Maya floating windows and dialogues, Just the primary application window.

Message 14 of 25
mspeer

Hi!

Check Viewport modes in Preferences.

Message 15 of 25
EkDoreo

I forgot you asked for specific hardware details; as bellow:

Late 2014 27" iMac 5k

Apple's Detailed Technical Specification for this machine. I confirm they match what I am using.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp707

I have ordered 8gb additional RAM; on it's way. Not for reasons related to this posting.

Message 16 of 25
EkDoreo

Yea I have: I only have access to OpenGL - Core Profile and OpenGL legacy

Message 17 of 25
EkDoreo

Ok I have made some kind of break through. There is something in the Autodesk Maya Preference directory causing it. I had previously booted maya with the directory empty. No idea why this time it worked. I'm going to try isolate the corrupted file and post here before closing the topic.

Of course I'm assuming it hasn't just moved to a different location of the screen.

Feeling great relief at this point. Hope it's not too good to be true.

Message 18 of 25
EkDoreo

OK I have determined the culprit to be the Maya_Classic.json file.

Message 19 of 25
EkDoreo

Ok, it has been a while but this issue just occurred again. So what is corrupting this file? Well one possibility is that I was just messing with the viewport messages (inViewMessage) in some of my scripts. It's entirely possible but unable to be sure that this would have been going on last time as well. So I am wondering if somehow an invisible viewport message "square" background is stuck onscreen permanently.

Message 20 of 25
mjgriffis01

I am having the same issue however it’s with Maya 2019. Did you ever figure out the culprit?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums