Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to straighten edge loops in maya?

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
ruediger.hahn
3062 Views, 21 Replies

How to straighten edge loops in maya?

Hello,

how can I straighten the selected edge loop?

It seems to be a one key issue. But I do not understand the tutorial guy.

Lost in translation! 😄

thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pshwayka
in reply to: ruediger.hahn

With the loop selected, use the scale (r) tool. (Scale in one axis only...probably x in your case.)

Message 3 of 22
ruediger.hahn
in reply to: pshwayka

this one works. I often forget the force of the scale.

But the tutor says about hold ... key down and it snaps to straight.

Terrible English and no subtitle. I try to find out which one.

Message 4 of 22

that could be x (grid snapping) or v (point snapping). depending on where you want the loop to be i prefer scaling it as @pshwayka said so you get an average of the current position.
Message 5 of 22

X will snap grip and V snap to point

I think he says J, but it does not horizontal or vertical align with me.

Something I do wrong.

Message 6 of 22
pshwayka

I usually use the J key to do rotation snapping. by default, if you rotate with the J key held down, the rotation will be in 15 degree increments.

Message 7 of 22
ruediger.hahn

But it would not straighten it. If it is off and you turn edge loop you itwould not mean it stops at 90º.

Message 8 of 22

exactly, it just increments from the current position/rotation. if it´s an arbitrary value you will not get it straight. that´s why we proposed other methods. if you are not happy with it link the the tutorial. maybe someone can tell you what the guy is using.
Message 9 of 22
pshwayka

Note that you can specify the snap increment in the rotate tool settings under snap step, and make it relative or absolute...but I still prefer the scale method for what you're trying to do.

Message 10 of 22
ruediger.hahn

The tutorial is the one from pluralsight 'advanced charcacter modeling in maya'. part 3.

the scale method works fine when the edge is rotate even. but when you look on the picture the selected edge loop is non uniformaly deformed.

*edit: sorry maybe not so visible. but tutor uses one key and it snaps straight. but I do not get which key. 

And manually adjusted is not 100% straight.

Message 11 of 22
pshwayka

Since you're paying for that tutorial, you should be entitled to clarification. Have you tried asking them for help?

Message 12 of 22
ruediger.hahn

It hought this might be the faster way. I asked once a question and it took them for ever. No direct contatct to the tutor. But I did not expect to ask something so strange. 🙂 I am sorry for causing so much back and for.

Message 13 of 22
pshwayka

Okay...I just signed up for a free trial, and that particular video was available. What he's doing is holding down the J key while he uses the scale tool with the Y axis handle (green.) That does indeed work.

Message 14 of 22
ruediger.hahn

Thanks for the extra work!! 

I did not try it on scale. THANKS!! 

happy! 

Message 15 of 22
pshwayka

Glad that mystery is solved!

Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
ruediger.hahn

So You also did learn something. 😉

Message 17 of 22
pshwayka

Seems like extra effort to me...I can get the same result just by using the scale tool...with just one hand.

Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 22
pshwayka

Also, @_sebastian_f just reminded me of something...beginning with Maya 2015, the scale tool has a "prevent negative scale" option which is enabled by default, and which allows you to just use the scale handle instead of the snap option.

scale.png

Message 19 of 22
ruediger.hahn

You are right. I thought it prevented the movement in horizonatl edges but it does not. So no idea why he does it. I got confused, did not get and so I had to ask. But studying by myself means... ask in Forums and watch more tutorials. 

Message 20 of 22
ruediger.hahn

must be with 2016.

Using a 2015 student version, where it is not showing up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report