Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import VDB to Maya

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
blajer.hubert
23549 Views, 8 Replies

How to import VDB to Maya

Hello

I've been searching for couple hours now how to import a VDB sequence to Maya with no success. I've found this site http://www.openvdb.org/ but i have no idea what to do with the files after downloading them(ss of files attached). Does anyone know how to install this plug-in/scripts or has any alternative for that (other than soup-dev)? Zrzut ekranu (10).png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi @blajer.hubert and welcome to the community!

At the moment, the only way to import vdb files is via a 3rd party plug-in Soup.

You can find a link to Soups download here as well as documentation on it!

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 9

With Arnold you can render a VDB file directly. Just create Arnold Volume, point to your VDB files.

https://support.solidangle.com/display/A5AFMUG/Volume

--
MacBook Pro 13,3 - 2.7GHz - 16GB - Radeon Pro 460 - macOS Catalina 10.15
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the help guys.

Message 5 of 9

I got a notification you replied with the question how to get a sequence of VDB files to load correctly. But you removed this question? Did you already manage?

It is quite simple if you know how, as always 🙂

Add the #s to replace the frame number (with as many #s as the padding, so #### for frame numbering like 0001).

Then, in the frame attribute in the aiVolume node type "=frame". And you're done.

Good luck!

--
MacBook Pro 13,3 - 2.7GHz - 16GB - Radeon Pro 460 - macOS Catalina 10.15
Message 6 of 9
mark
in reply to: joostkonemann

for those that don't realize it Renderman and Redshift both have nodes for this. OPENvdb is common in Houdini and is a Dreamworks creation.

http://www.openvdb.org/about/

Message 7 of 9
jimboPJ95C
in reply to: mark

Aware, but this does help with V-Ray in Maya. Is there a plug-in that loads VDB files for rendering in V-Ray inside of Maya? There is information for rendering Houdini VDB files with V-Ray directly on the Chaos Theory Group Forum, but not how to do this in Maya.

Does anyone know how to render Houdini VDB files with V-Ray using Maya's render/Lighting setup?

Thanks.
Message 8 of 9
damaggio
in reply to: jimboPJ95C

Create a Vray volume grid node and load the VDB file.Create>V-Ray>Volume grid.

Message 9 of 9
arnav.nick
in reply to: blajer.hubert

Hey so I imported a vdb sequence from houdini,  but the problem is it comes out like this, I assigned a "aivolumesurface" to the vdb sequence...is this a texture problem? if it is how do i get that fire-ey look? 

Thanks!

arnavnick_1-1655268654836.png

arnavnick_0-1655268535927.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report