Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of small elements on UV map?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jaadlugi
394 Views, 5 Replies

How to get rid of small elements on UV map?

Hi, I'm a beginner to using Maya, I made a model in SketchUP and exported it to Maya, but after doing the UV auto there are a few small parts. How to combine them to make them one?

Labels (1)
  • UV
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
hamsterHamster
in reply to: jaadlugi

You do it with MoveAndSew command in UV editor, with Edges selected.

The question would be: "Which edges?"

The answer is not straightforward, as it depends on what are you modelling and what tools are at your disposal. For the organic models, like a human, you make seams as short and as little visible (back, armpits, under pelvis, clothing, hair), preferably square shape, and not the least. For the architecture, you would sew those edges which require continuous texture, however you would want the faces keep split for the wooden planks. You can pay less care about seams if using 3D texture painting software, while your aim is always the same - to use as much UV space as possible, less gaps between the uv-shells.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 6
jaadlugi

Okay, i will try this 🙂

Message 4 of 6
jaadlugi

Okay, I checked it, that's what I needed, but is there a way to kind of save it?
My point is to sew the edges and make the auto UV again, currently when doing the auto UV for the second time, the elements return to their original form.

Message 5 of 6
hamsterHamster

That is what exactly the [auto-]projecting should do. What you are after, most likely is uvEd>Modify>Layout uvs command. First apply the default settings, then change the options (some are selfexplanatory, some require reading Help), and observe the difference. Keep constantly in mind the methods you will use to make the texture. Usually you want the uv-shells to be grouped by material. In general, it is not just knowledge of UI, but a skill - the more you do, the more you learn.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 6 of 6
jaadlugi

Okay, thanks again 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums