Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to attach an object to a hand

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
3051 Views, 4 Replies

How to attach an object to a hand

Hello, thank you for taking your time to read this. I have been struggling with attaching a gun assets to the hand of my character, this is just because I want the character to be able to run and do animation cycles without the gun wiggling around and looking abnormal compared to the person moving about. I am not well versed with how Maya works with only 5 or so hours under my belt, so if you are explaining how it works explain in rather a lot of detail to someone who is not good with Maya. I have linked photos below of the character and the gun, the character is one of Maximo ones and is rigged using the Maximo auto rigger plugin, I have not put the bones in the gun in the photo just as when I had the bones inside of it the barrel bent out of position. If you need the file just say in the comments an I will find a way to give it to you. 

Thank you again for taking your time to read this,

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hamsterHamster
in reply to: 20221824

1. Position and parent several locators in the scene  - ground, character's spine, character's right hand etc.; rename them accordingly.

2. Make one more locator from Create menu, rename it to gunHolder_LOC and parentContstrain (maintain offset OFF) it to all those previously mentioned locators. Now, the gunHolder has a constraint node with extra attributes with the channels named after your scene locators, each set to 1.0, and the gunHolder moved somewhere inbetween.

3. Make all values 0 except the one for the hand, leave it to 1 - the gunHolder moves into soldiers hand, set keys for all those chans.. play with other value combos to understand how it works.

4. Parent the machine gun under the gunHolder (MMB-drag in the Outliner), and position the gun like it is in the hand.

Done.

Animate your character and the gun will move with the locator which has the 1, not 0. You will likely make switching between the locators in one frame, otherwise the gun will hang in midair.

Find more info in the Help, search Parent constraint.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 5
in reply to: hamsterHamster

Thank you very much. I am very sorry to ask this this but could you explain even more to me as I dont really understand what your meaning, if you by any chance have the ability to do a screen recording of what you mean that would be grand.

Message 4 of 5
hamsterHamster
in reply to: 20221824

The topic you want to embrace is advanced, yet you are reaching for it from 5hrs experience, which is.. no fun to explain in too much details, especially knowing that the topic has been covered in numerous tutorials of various formats.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 5 of 5
in reply to: hamsterHamster

Thank you so so much, this is amazing and works just liked I planed it to work, fingers crossed now I can get it into UE4 with the animation intact. Have a great day and again thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report