Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High poly object not displaying properly

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
christianHNYNZ
106 Views, 4 Replies

High poly object not displaying properly

Hi, I do not know how to explain what is going on in my scene, so Ill just drop a screenshot to illustrate what I am talking about.

christianHNYNZ_0-1694024822872.png

I created this tablecloth object using Maya's nCloth system, but the issue I am having is those black blotchy spots showing up on the mesh. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this, but my guess is that it is related to how many polygons I have in this model. I have no materials or textures applied to this mesh, so it that shouldn't be the issue.

I have the scene attached below if that is helpful.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: christianHNYNZ

This is due to your mesh having thickness, in most cases for cloth and paper the model should be single sided, having thickness will also increase render times, to clean up the view you need to increase your camera clipping planes, the black area is because the faces are sitting too close on each other, you can also just enable Lighting>Two sided lighting.

Message 3 of 5
christianHNYNZ
in reply to: damaggio

Thank you for the help, I see where you are coming from, and I do have a couple follow up questions. I originally started this specific model using a plane, but I was concerned about the fact that the back faces were culled. Based on what you explained, I am leaning towards remodeling the tablecloth using a plane, instead of the current model I am using. My only concern is that I wont be able to render the backside once I export this to Unity (this is supposed to be a game asset by the way, I do not believe I mentioned that earlier). I did some quick reading and it seems like there are ways to make textures that will be displayed on both sides, but I just wanted to make sure that I am not setting myself up for a headache in the future. I did toggle Two sided lighting like you recommended, and it fixed the rendering issue I was having in the viewport, but I want to make sure that I model this in a way that will render the way I intend it to in the game engine.

Message 4 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: christianHNYNZ

Unreal has an option to display single sided meshes and I’m sure Unity has the same, so it won’t be a problem, also is better and faster to  sim the cloth single sided first then extrude if needed afterwards, also double sided cloth will need a SS shader to display correctly which is more expensive.

If you are still having faces coming out on the top side you can delete all the back faces and try a new clean small extrusion.

Message 5 of 5
christianHNYNZ
in reply to: damaggio

Thank you very much for the help, I appreciate it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums