Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HiDPI Support in Maya 2016 for Mac

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
persian.apple
2318 Views, 35 Replies

HiDPI Support in Maya 2016 for Mac

I have Maya 2016 installed both on Mac and Windows on a retina Macbook. The Windows version seems to be completely compatible with HiDPI. But in the Mac version despite the icons and other UI elements, the viewport is not compatible with retina resolution and objects and grid lines do not look sharp like in the Windows version. I've posted the images to show the differnce. Please help me solve the viewport issue.Mac.pngWindows.png

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
pshwayka
in reply to: persian.apple

It looks like you don't have color management enabled for the viewport  in the Mac version.

Message 3 of 36
persian.apple
in reply to: pshwayka

Color Management is enabled in the preferences. Actually I have a clean installation of Maya and it was enabled by default.

Message 4 of 36
pshwayka

What is the View Transform set to in the color management settings?

Message 5 of 36
persian.apple
in reply to: pshwayka

It is set to sRGB gamma.

Message 6 of 36
manny_n

Hi there,

bumping this thread up, because I am also looking for a fix for this. Viewport 2.0 on Maya 2016/LT does not render in HiDPI even though the rest of the UI does. This is quite a problem for me as I am working on the 27" retina iMac.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 36
autodesk
in reply to: manny_n

did anyone find a fix for this yet?

I'm on maya 2016 and it still seems like it hasn't been fixed.

Message 8 of 36
tony.su
in reply to: autodesk

I couldn't see the problem from the image. What's different between those two image? Except color and ViewCube.

I just wonder why you don't use viewport 2.0 on Mac version. 

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 9 of 36
autodesk
in reply to: tony.su

the problem is that the viewport is pixelated.

look at this screenshot. The icons and font are high resolution, but the viewport is low resolution.

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 9.40.05 AM.png

Message 10 of 36
autodesk

I think the reason you don't see the difference is that you might be looking at this forum on a non-retina display.

I changed the DPI in photoshop to take this into account. I think here you can see what I mean:

Message 11 of 36
autodesk

Is there any chance that this will be fixed? I installed service pack 4 and have the same problem.

I use Chetah3D and blender alongside with maya now, simply because the viewport is so pixelated in maya.

Message 12 of 36
dulaney

Bump. I just installed 2017 hoping to finally get a HiDPI compatible viewport and am still seeing a pixelated mess. I work on a 27-inch Thunderbolt display most of the time, where it isn't a problem, but whenever I try to work on my 15-Inch retina screen it's awful. 

Retina Displays have been out since 2012, what's the deal guys?

Message 13 of 36
colbtron

Same problem here. I've been complaining about this for years. My wireframes are literally half resolution. Reminds me of working on Sculpt 3D on the Amiga... 20 years ago.

Message 14 of 36
mspeer
in reply to: colbtron

Hi!

At the first post the images are a comparison between legacy Viewport with smoothing enabled against Viewport 2.0 without smoothing. This will lead of course to a discrepancy in display behavior.

Keep in mind that in Viewport: Shading -> Smooth Wireframe is only for legacy Viewport and doesn't work with Viewport 2.0 (at least not with a gaming card).

Use "Multisampling Anti-aliasing" with a high "Sample Count" (16) for a smooth display in Viewport 2.0 if "Smooth Wireframe" doesn't work for you or is not enough.

in Viewport: Renderer -> Viewport 2.0 Settings / Hardware 2.0 Settings -> Anti-aliasing...

Message 15 of 36
colbtron
in reply to: mspeer

Even with anti aliasing and smooth wireframe, the image in the viewports is half resolution on Retina displays. When I take a screenshot and open it in Photoshop, the pixels are each made of 4 actual pixels. I can understand doubling up the wireframes so they're easier to see (one retina pixel would be pretty thin) but I really wish it would properly support the full resolution of the display. The icons and other interface elements do.

Thanks

Message 16 of 36
autodesk

Thanks. I can see this on a low-res screen now as well. I don't know what monitors they use at Autodesk, but especially, for a graphics tool, this should be obvious. I'm running two 5K monitors here and Maya looks like 10 years ago…

@tony.su will this every be fixed? When can I get a Maya subscription again?

Message 17 of 36
tony.su

I can change Anti-aliasing setting for VP2.0 option in Maya 2018. I'm not sure if you can do it in Maya 2016.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.01.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.58.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 9.58.18 AM.png

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 18 of 36
autodesk
in reply to: tony.su

Hi Tony, Unfortunately, Anti-Aliasing/multisampling is not what we're talking about. While anti-aliasing increases the amount of samples per pixel, it doesn't increase the actual number of physical pixels. What we're asking for is for Maya actually address the physical pixels available on the screen. I created this illustration about what the problem is. Every Mac application I've been using recently does this properly, except Maya.Artboard.png

Message 19 of 36
romano.mcbride

Just tested this with Maya 2019. Same problem. This is a comparison between Cheetah 3D and Maya 2019 running on MacOS 10.14.4

Please fix it! 😞

Message 20 of 36
dulaney
in reply to: romano.mcbride

Pretty embarrassing at this point. Retina displays have been around for almost 8 years. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report