Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide selection WITHOUT hiding children?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MRAnim8or
5356 Views, 10 Replies

Hide selection WITHOUT hiding children?

I'm a relative newcomer to Maya (most of my experience has been in Max up to this point). Is there any way to hide an object without hiding its children? I know there's a workaround where you can just hide the shapes of the selected object, but this is a pain and doesn't always work.....for instance, joints have no shape node. I do a lot of character rigging, and as far as I can see there's no way to hide a joint without hiding its children joints. I couldn't find a way to do it in Mel or Python either.

Thanks,
Mike
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MasonDoran
in reply to: MRAnim8or

select shape node of parent by pressing the down arrow and hide that.
Message 3 of 11
MRAnim8or

As I said, though, joints have no shape node. Seems impossible to hide the root joint in a chain without hiding its children
Message 4 of 11

Correct; you can't.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Hi there,

Did you find a solution that works properly?

I know you can work with overrides. If you have a sphere child of a joint for example, you can "enable overrides" on the attribute editor of the joint and set the LOD as Bounding box; now select the sphere and set "enable overrides" keeping the LOD as "full". You'll end up with only the sphere visible on the view port.
Apparently you solved the problem, It seems that the joint is hidden but if you check the node it's not actually really hidden.

I know the post is not recent, so If you have found a way to flag it properly, I'm curious to know how 😉

Cheers,
Ila
Message 6 of 11
eduarskate8

No one care 10 years later, but the solution is hide the shape in self.

From outliner, Display > Shapes.

Know you will se how every shape has a group that contains itself, so you can easily select it and hide it wihout hide the next hierechy.

Like if you read this 10 year later.

Message 7 of 11
trs_andre
in reply to: eduarskate8

After clicking "Shapes" nothing new comes out...

However, I was able to achieve the desired result by going to the Attribute Editor, and under "Joint" changing the "Draw Style" to "None".

André Moreira

Game Developer / Technical Artist

LinkedIn

Message 8 of 11
esmanrbayar
in reply to: trs_andre

After clicking "Shapes" you can add a new attribute from; channel box-edit-channel control-visibility

Message 9 of 11
gavlew
in reply to: trs_andre

Thanks André for your reply - for joints (which have no shape node) the 'draw style' setting works! 

Message 10 of 11
capo494

thank you saved my life (from a student 13 years later😂)

Message 11 of 11
meimadch

10 years is nothing for maya ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report