Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph Editor problems

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
bmagner888
3652 Views, 30 Replies

Graph Editor problems

Maya 2022,
The f button does not frame up on keyframes in the graph editor.  Using "Frame Selection" from the View menu doesn't do anything either.  Autoframe will sometimes change the view in ways I don't expect or want. 
Sometimes it reverts to stacked view even after I've changed that setting.  (Why would anyone even want that and why is it a default setting?)
This graph editor does not perform the same way as it did in Maya 2020 (prior to that I always used the legacy version). 
I've been using Maya since 2004 and never had these kinds of problems before.  It's really hard to animate when really basic things don't work correctly.

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
bmagner888
in reply to: bmagner888

Ran update to Maya 2022.2
problem persists.  Also "ctrl+c" and "ctrl+v" don't cut and paste keys, which is the most frustrating and obnoxious thing in the world.  I wrote a script to delete the mayaClipBoard file from the User/Temp dir but it still pastes scene objects instead of keyframes.  Basic **** needs to work.

Message 3 of 31
bmagner888

The graph editor is garbage.  I have to keep hitting the hotkey on the keyboard over and over again and if I'm lucky it will sometimes work--well, partially.  How did you guys release this with it ****ed up this badly?  This is absolute garbage.

Message 4 of 31
kelly_hynes

Hello,

I did some sanity checks for the behavior you describe, and I was not able to reproduce in 2022.2.  Frame all and frame selection shortcuts are working for me and copy and paste keys work as well.

Do you have any Graph Editor preferences set?  Also, could you provide a few step-by-step repro case that will show exactly the problems you are seeing.  What OS and hardware are you working on?

I'm checking around to see what known issues there are with the Graph Editor at this time and will update once I have more info.

Regards,

Kelly

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 5 of 31
kelly_hynes
in reply to: kelly_hynes

Hi again,

One of my co-workers mentioned that there are a few issues with the workflows you describe if you have the Graph Editor open on top of the Script Editor.  Could this be the problem you are seeing?

Kelly

Kelly Hynes

Message 6 of 31
bmagner888

Windows 10 Home (10.0.19043)
Nvidia RTX 2080

My animation/GraphEditor settings: 

autokey: on

weighted tangents: on

default tangents: spline

key size: 1.0

min key selection size: 1.0

I changed the hotkey "ctrl+v" to Paste Keys, removing it from PasteSelected after yesterday, but it still doesn't paste keys 90% of the time, and sometimes it will paste whole animCurves instead of pasting individual selected keyframes.

I almost always have the ScriptEditor open.  It's useful for feedback and problem solving.  I'll try animating with it closed and see how that goes.

Message 7 of 31
bmagner888

It has behaved better today.  Animating with or without the ScriptEditor open doesn't seem to affect performance.  It still doesn't paste selected keyframes properly, so I wrote my own version (attached).
One settings change I did make was to uncheck "GPU override", as I remember that was causing poor performance in Maya 2020.  I don't know if that's the reason the graph editor is not as terrible today, but maybe.

Message 8 of 31
kelly_hynes

Can you send me exact repro steps for the bug with copy/pasting keys.  Can you reproduce it on a primitive?  If I can reproduce it, I can ask the dev team to possibly address it, or confirm if it's been fixed in a later version.

Kelly

Kelly Hynes

Message 9 of 31
bmagner888

The process was really simple.  select some keys.  Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V...
and... it pastes some scene objects instead of keyframes. 
I also assigned my own copyPaste_SelectedKeys user command to Ctrl+Shift+V and use that most of the time but it doesn't work for everything so I still sometimes have to use Ctrl+V.

The problems that frustrated me are now significantly reduced.  Performance overall has been better and most of the hotkeys seem to function correctly in the graph editor now.  I can't say for certain, but I think using the GPU override setting might conflict with parallel evaluation mode and causes problems.  I have no way of testing that and I'm not really interested in doing that.  But since I turned off GPU override, Maya has worked as expected most of the time.

Message 10 of 31

I'm running into this, too. The keyboard shortcuts f and a seem to work properly for a couple clicks, then stop working in the Graph Editor and only apply to the viewport(probably why bmagner888 is getting scene objects dropped into their scene). There's nothing I'm doing between the keys working and then suddenly not working. It's as if the viewport is pulling focus for keyboard shortcuts. I was working with the Graph Editor and Time Editor tabbed into the same window, but closing the Time Editor entirely doesn't fix the problem, so I don't believe that's the problem. I also don't work with the Script Editor open at all and I'm not using GPU override.

I will also note that f and a work as intended in the Time Editor and in the Camera Sequencer and f works just fine in the Outliner as well.

I'm in Maya 2022.3.0-15.0

Message 11 of 31
JohannLeo

This is a problem for me too. I cannot think of why it happened. I had the pose editor open for a while that might have caused the issue. I also use a plugin, but I have used it a lot and have had no problems for a year. I will post if I get a repro. 

Message 12 of 31

Is there any progress or update on this? This is still happening with regularity and requires a full computer restart to temporarily fix it.

Message 13 of 31

Are you able to frame or frame all in the Graph editor by using the menu - View < Frame < Frame all/Frame selection?

Kelly

Kelly Hynes

Message 14 of 31

Hi, Kelly! Yes, those still work if I click through the menus and they still have the keyboard shortcuts next to them. As of just this moment, I noticed that the keyboard shortcuts work if my mouse is hovering over anything other than the graph editor curves area.

Message 15 of 31

The only recommendation I have is an untested theory that GPU override in the evaluation mode in the Preferences causes problems throughout Maya.  (windows-settings/prefs-preferences-animation-evaluation).  Make sure GPU override is unchecked.  Like I said, this is just a theory, but after turning it off, my Maya and the graph editor behaved normally (or at least with significantly fewer problems).  The graph editor still kind of sucks but at least it sucks in predictable ways. 

I also highly recommend not using cached playback if you have complicated rigs that require value computation at every frame (stuff like stretchy limbs, expressions, or even just multiplyDivide nodes).  It's on by default, I think.  It was very difficult just to move rig components and scrubbing was impossible.

Message 16 of 31
bmagner888

Here's an updated script to copy/paste selected keyframes at the current time.  It's an alternative to using ctrl+c/ctrl+v.  I mapped it as a hot key "shift+ctrl+v".  Whatever keys you have selected will be copied and pasted at the current frame, and you don't even need to use ctrl+c.
It only queries selected keyframes, so Maya won't pause for 30 seconds while it pastes a copy of your entire character rig into the scene, causing you to flip your desk over in anger and frustration.

Message 17 of 31

Checking in again after two weeks. Is there any update on this issue? It's still happening regularly.

Message 18 of 31

Hi there Andrew,

I'll try to spend some time today testing this.  To date, I have not been able to reproduce.

Kelly

Kelly Hynes

Message 19 of 31

Hi, Kelly!

Yeah, that's the most frustrating part. I haven't done anything that will trigger it reliably and it just kinda ... happens.

Message 20 of 31

I am having the same issues.

Repro.

New Scene.

Make a poly cube.

Set some keyframes.

Go to graph editor.

Pressing 'f' does not frame selected keys.

Pressing `ctrl-c` and `ctrl-v' duplicates the cube in my main window as if my main window is holding focus.

This last gave me a clue. I moved my graph editor from my right screen to my left screen and voila the graph editor works.

This is a common bug with geforce - where multiple monitor setups confuse it for some reason. 

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-drive...

The above is a potential fix - not fully tested yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report