Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GARBAGE PROGRAM....

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
lazarus102
2131 Views, 25 Replies

GARBAGE PROGRAM....

Another four hours of work wasted because this overpriced GARBAGE can't be properly error tested...  Hours of moving vertices and hairs to finally get it just perfect, hit save and BOOM, the thing crashes on me, fails to create a backup save and screws up the save that I was trying to make by turning my entire detailed model bright green and apparently screwing over the spline data so I have the redo the entire hair... For what they charge for this program, it needs to be guaranteed to NEVER crash, and if it does, they should have to pay the user 2-3000$ for their troubles. Maybe if they had to do that, they'd actually make their crap work right in the first place... thousands of dollars per user should pay for that much at least.. GREEDY company...

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

...I really would like a subforum specifically for bug (or bug-like) behavior.

And another one simply for complaints. This would personally help me when I crash my deadlines.

And it would show that AD values our suffering and understands us.

Hey moderator, may that be an option?

Message 3 of 26

100% agree. The current price tag cannot be justified in any way. I have grown to hate Autodesk, to be quite honest. They can't even make the undo function reliable. What are we paying for?

Message 4 of 26

Honestly... I'm not even a programmer and I can think of one idea off the top of my head that would save people a lot of headache in these situations. I'd say that for every save made to the primary save folder, like, EVERY time that little floppy disk icon is hit, it should make an alternative save in a backup save folder. Obviously while making such an option, optional, and adding such sub-options as purging files older than a set date, like, 24-48 hours old, or purging older files once the alternate save folder reaches a certain size. That would prevent your hard drive from being flooded with backup saves but probably reduce such complaints as mine by at least 50%, and offering a valid option for those that do make the complaint.

Honestly, with AD servicing the likes of Disney/Pixar, I am mind boggled that this kind of error is able to so easily screw up hours of my work. I can only imagine the people in those positions were they to end up in the same situation. Honestly, if I was working in one of those positions and this happened to me more than once (as it actually has, same similar issue), I'd be considering a lawsuit against AD, or demanding my way up the chain of management until I was able to at least get a refund for the year.

Message 5 of 26

Today, I have the honor to experience a type of bug which is new to me.

The 'timeSliderBookmark' nodes are not recognized by Maya and thus their type is 'unknown'.

And yes, I'm on Maya2020, yes.

I honestly don't know what to say...

Message 6 of 26

@lazarus102 wrote:

Honestly... I'm not even a programmer and I can think of one idea off the top of my head that would save people a lot of headache in these situations. I'd say that for every save made to the primary save folder, like, EVERY time that little floppy disk icon is hit, it should make an alternative save in a backup save folder. Obviously while making such an option, optional, and adding such sub-options as purging files older than a set date, like, 24-48 hours old, or purging older files once the alternate save folder reaches a certain size. That would prevent your hard drive from being flooded with backup saves but probably reduce such complaints as mine by at least 50%, and offering a valid option for those that do make the complaint.

Honestly, with AD servicing the likes of Disney/Pixar, I am mind boggled that this kind of error is able to so easily screw up hours of my work. I can only imagine the people in those positions were they to end up in the same situation. Honestly, if I was working in one of those positions and this happened to me more than once (as it actually has, same similar issue), I'd be considering a lawsuit against AD, or demanding my way up the chain of management until I was able to at least get a refund for the year.

Actually such an option exists in Maya for a very long time, it's called autosave, but you need to enable it in preferences. Once there you can set up the place where you want autosave file to be stored, how often should Maya save it for you, and even how many versions you want to have.
Message 7 of 26

There are of course concerns with auto-save options. Such as random lags hindering the work flow, and saving of data that was not intended to save (IE: testing something out and it randomly saves). Also, this particular crash was caused during a save, so turning on auto-save would actually increase the variable chance of the program crashing at random.

The idea that I had mentioned would effectively do the same thing in a more controllable setting.

Message 8 of 26

but at least you don't lose everything and have let's say 10 previous version of the file progressed

Message 9 of 26

Today, I wanted to start to render some final images using the renderWindow and arnold.

Unfortunately, I had 'echo all commands' turned on for the script editor.

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED   -> CRASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OOOPS, 8 HOURS OF WORK LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Message 10 of 26

Using 2019, it's been crashing consistently while trying to create a mesh light and render in the Arnold viewport renderer. If I remove visibility on a mesh light object (the object itself, not the light visible option) and hit the little red play button to render, it seems to crash every time. It's also crashed several times just upon hitting that little play button with the light, object's visibility setting checked.

I've had it crash several times in the last hour alone. I've also had it random crash no less than 1-3 times a day (granted I've been working in it a lot, but I wouldn't expect such obviously low quality testing on a product that's so expensive. I could definitely see Blender taking over the 3D scene once it gets a few more of the options offered by Maya. I mean, Blender has been known to make equivalent quality content to Maya, and it's free. I don't know where Maya gets off charging 400-3000$ per year (400 for a year sub to the much limited LT version, no less than 2k per year for the full featured).. If nothing else, the LT version should be free and maybe 2-400 a year for the full version. But the current pricing is just a terrible sales model and will eventually tank the program as most people cannot afford the full version and the LT is cut down like a trial with a fraction of the features. If you're going to bother with LT, just use Blender.

Message 11 of 26

Hoho, Arnold, yes, Arnold...

In three days I found 3 bugs. 2 are already reported, the third takes some more time to create a scene for so the devs can easily work with it...

Message 12 of 26

Agree with @bhadrabalaramadas here.

Saving your file periodically is the best practice in workflow. If the program lags because of it, might also be because of the file size. Using an SSD might help as well!

Either the software is expensive or cheap, ANY software crashes. They are made by humans, and humans make mistakes. That's why there are bugfixes and updates.

I'm not saying the price is fair or unfair, but heck, if the software was free and you still lost your long hours of work, wouldn't the result be the same?

A bad install or a bad condition hard drive can be a source of problems to any software as well, by the way.

André Moreira

Game Developer / Technical Artist

LinkedIn

Message 13 of 26
lazarus102
in reply to: trs_andre

"if the software was free and you still lost your long hours of work, wouldn't the result be the same?" 

The software isn't free and that's the point. A lot more of that human error should be weeded out by a company that's getting 2-3k for every single subscription to the full version. Maybe if the CEO wasn't pocketing so much of the profits.. but you're right, this problem is not exclusive to AD. This has become a mainstream practice of tossing out sub-par software, then letting the customers pay to effectively be the alpha/beta testers.. the difference with this software over others is that they charge a stupid amount for what is essentially the trial version of the software, and 5-6.5X more for the full version and all tied to a subscription, so that even if you're on a 10 year monthly recurring sub and end up paying 30,000$ for the software, you STILL don't own a copy... 

So yes, when you price gouge people on your products in the way AD does, then you open your products, and yourself as a company, up to mass scrutiny. 

And as I also said, The exact issue in the OP happened while saving and screwed over the save file. So lag wouldn't be the only issue with autosave, but also the potential for a crash and loss of save every time it does it. 

For the record it's on an SSD, but I only have the one SSD ATM, and I really need an M.2 drive but I can't afford one atm(least not a good one).

Message 14 of 26

Today was sooo funny... !

By accident, I hit the hotkey for the arnoldRenderView instead of the one for the Maya render view editor...you will not believe what happened...

...yes, its true... A CRASH

hey, have been working half the day for NOTHING!

Message 15 of 26
abercaine
in reply to: BurkhardRammner

@BurkhardRammner

Hum so you are saying that you work all that time (half a day) without any saves or incremental saves?

That's very smart and professional 

Message 16 of 26
BurkhardRammner
in reply to: abercaine

@abercaine 

My saving times are around 1.5 hours, so keep your comment for yourself.

Message 17 of 26
abercaine

@BurkhardRammner 
so now for you 1.5h equal a half-day, makes sens  

Message 18 of 26
mspeer
in reply to: abercaine

Hi!

I have to admit that I also wondered about the comment "half the day for NOTHING" which means no saving for several hours, but if the saving needs 1.5 hours i understand this, not only that it breaks the workflow, this also simply costs too much time.

The main question is, why does it take so much time?

I highly recommend to check if you can't optimize your scene setup so you can save more often.

There may be some specific cases where you can't do much about this, but in most cases this can be optimized with proxies, caches, References,...

Message 19 of 26
BurkhardRammner
in reply to: mspeer

@mspeer 

no need to talk about scene optimization. My scenes are already optimized.

Message 20 of 26
trs_andre

No point in forcing understanding in this conversation...

Either way, it is not by coming in here and calling the software a piece of garbage that it is going to make it better.

Call support, search the forums, ask or advice, etc. If it doesn't solve your problem, well, you better give up and find another alternative. That's life.

*Why is this even in the Ideas section?

André Moreira

Game Developer / Technical Artist

LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report