Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force long names in attribute editor (lineColor instead of Line Color etc)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
asdfgasd
775 Views, 6 Replies

Force long names in attribute editor (lineColor instead of Line Color etc)

how would i go about getting all attribute names in attribute editor be displayed as long names? (ex: lineColor instead of Line Color  etc). We can do that in outliner and channel box but i havent figured out a way to do that with attribute editor.  any tips are welcome, or if someone knows what maya script to edit and how in order to achieve that, it would be great

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sean.heasley
in reply to: asdfgasd

Hi @asdfgasd

I'm a bit confused by your issue as I just changed the name of a mesh in the attribute editor and it worked fine.

Can you post a screenshot/video of your issue?

Message 3 of 7
asdfgasd
in reply to: sean.heasley

clarification: when you open attribute editor for example for a material, the attribute names next to the sliders there are in their "nice name" form such as Color or Transparency.  but the actual attribute name that we would use in a script is ".color" or ".transparency". and while these are easy to figure out, other nodes start having attribute names such as "Divisions per Face" or "Hidden In Outliner" and those are not as simple to quickly figure out what the ".longName" for scripting use would be and it adds additional unnecessary "brain processing" or looking the longname up in other panels.

for example in channel box, you can go Edit - Channel names - Long and that will show all attributes in channelbox as long names (translateX etc). Same in outliner when you display attributes, you can go Display - Channel names - long,  but i cant find a way to do this for attribute editor, which would often speed things up.

Message 4 of 7
mspeer

Hi!

As i understand you want the following for Attribute Editor:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-B531A6B3-0FBD-4085-8D39-BCD9E47BB286

Currently there is nothing like this available for the Attribute Editor, so use the Channel Box.

You could make a feature request: Help -> Speak Back -> Ideas for Maya...

Message 5 of 7
nickjang

if you didn't know of these alternative methods:

if you have the script editor open, you can edit an attribute and the long name will show up. same thing with right clicking the attribute locking it and unlocking it.

you can right click an attribute and select "create new expression" to get a pop up window that has, under the "Attributes" section, a list of all the long names for the node's attributes.

or you can just print the result of the listAttr command if you want to copy and paste all of them.

Message 6 of 7
sean.heasley
in reply to: nickjang

Hi @asdfgasd just checking in, did @nickjang or @mspeer's solution help you out?

Message 7 of 7
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hey @asdfgasd just checking in again, did this resolve your issue?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report