Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus is not working

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
12352 Views, 19 Replies

Focus is not working

Hi , 

i've bought a new computer and installed Maya . 

When i am trying to focus on a object by press on "F" key on the keyboard the whole object is disappeared. 

its happen in every scene .

Tried to repair Maya - no change . 

Delete and install again - no change . 

Created new camera and then focus - no change .

I've installed an update from autodesk - no change . 

Please assist ! 

Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

1. Try a reset of your preferences.
Rename the folder prefs in folder 2018 to something like prefs_backup, or to reset everything, the folder 2018 to 2018_backup (or even the maya folder to maya_backup). Maya creates new folders (don't copy preferences from previous Maya versions). Detailed at:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Reset-May...

2. Create a new scene, create a Polygon Cube and try focus again.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Thanks ! its working !

Message 4 of 20
george.stamenov

That's not a good solution by far! 

What about if you have custom shelves, you would lose them all and spend hours to put them back together. 

Can someone come up with a better solution? 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

This is a bug that Maya has been dragging along for many versions/years. Yet they just ignore the problem.

I agree with George below.. the only "solution" they provide is to basically delete your preferences. Which of course is not a viable solution.

Message 6 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

It is not ignored and has already been fixed.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Where? What version of maya??

Certainly not 2018 as I’ve been struggling with this nightmare for two days! And then what valid fix have you got to propose? Other than deleting my preferences?!

Message 8 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

I am currently not sure, but if i remember correct it has been fixed somewhere between Maya 2018.5 and Maya 2019.

Make sure that the value for Camera Fit Factor in Preferences is not too low (default is "0.95").

Message 9 of 20
george.stamenov

Hey guys, 

I think I have figured it out but I am not in front of my computer atm. 

Will post the solution later. 

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Right thanks but, once again, no solution whatsoever is provided.

“It had been fixed between 18.5 and 19”, that’s a very vague answer. I feel you’re not taking this seriously.

Furthermore like I said, we at Technicolor VFX use maya 2018. I’ve been struggling with this for two days and, as cg supervisor, it is a waste of my time.

If you are, as your title says, a mentor, you should be able to come up with some sort of solution no? I, as a maya mentor, as a user since 1998, found no other workaround than rebuilding my preferences. I ask, what kind of software requires you to delete your preferences in order to work!?

The fitFactor thing is different from the preferences window bug, and I had solved it by myself already.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: george.stamenov

5681D973-2DDF-4401-BC81-1190A8977EB1.jpeg

Solution is:

- edit your userPrefs

- look for “fitFactor”

- set it to a value > 0 and <= 1

that is a real solution, no mocking around with reset transformations and default view which don’t work. 

Really this should come from autodesk, not from a user. 

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

@mspeer I thought you were an autodesk support agent, which is why I found your answer a little... unprofessional. 

If if you are just a user like me sorry!! And thanks for answering!

Message 13 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

I am not an Autodesk employee, i am a "normal" user like others in this forum.

I don't understand what you mean with

"fitFactor thing is different from the preferences window bug"

as the Fit Factor is  the setting in Preferences i was talking about.

Preferences -> Settings -> Cameras -> View Fit -> Fit factor (which is defaultFitFactor)

However i checked back and it's fixed in Maya 2018.5 by using a hard coded min value of "0.01" for Fit Factor..

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

Yes thanks, like I said I mistook you for a support agent.

I found the fitFactor fix yesterday and the only way that prevents preferences Maya from resetting it to the faulty value of 0 is to set it manually in userPrefs.mel. Well, it seems to work for a while before the bug strikes back for no apparent reason! Maya style..

There is another very annoying bug with the preferences window that support are supposed to look into (but do nothing about as usual), I thought you were replying about that sry.

Thanks for your answer 🙂
Message 15 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

You can try to add the defaultFitFactor with a custom value to your userSetup.mel

as this should override settings of Preferences when starting Maya.

Message 16 of 20
george.stamenov

Try Crtl + Alt then while holding the keys Left mouse button, click and drag (like drawing a selection rectangle).

Then select an object and press F 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

the solution i found , is to select the camera in the outliner, set the camera translate and rotate to zero and , freeze transform , delete history and center pivot , it works for me and the focus rework again. 

I hope it will help

Message 18 of 20
S-marcus.baretta

This solution worked perfectly. I have had this problem for awhile, and its been super frustrating. I checked the cameras tab in preferences,  and found that my fit factor was only .01. After changing it back to .95 I could focus again. This is a much better option than resetting all your preferences.

Message 19 of 20
remdaroN

I just wanted to say that I fixed my issue by resetting the perspective camera transformations.

Modify ---> Reset Transformations.

Message 20 of 20
mthanish

This helped me. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report