Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX Export drops all of the custom materials

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Eadig
925 Views, 1 Reply

FBX Export drops all of the custom materials

Hello

This is something I have spent days asking other 3D graphic designers about with no luck and I'm in dire need of help. 

I'm having to export my Maya models with materials intact in FBX format for the purpose of rendering models with high quality in web browsers. I made sure that I had understood the official guide on FBX Export Settings and I notice enabling Embed Media allows linked images to be incorporated. However, regardless of Export settings and whether the models have linked images or not, Maya drops all of the materials and linked images off any models no matter how simple or complex the models are. 

Converting the data into .glb format is so lossy that it does not meet client expectations. Please help me work out how the models can retain the materials and linked images after being exported into the FBX format.

Thank you in advanced.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Eadig
in reply to: Eadig

I have just found this article explaining that Maya can only export its standard materials in .fbx/glb format, not Arnold materials:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/fbx-materials-not-exporting/td-p/9164795

Once I replaced the AI materials with Lambert, Blinn or Phong and converted into .fbx format, the models could be rendered correctly with textures on even in web browsers. However, if someone ever works out ways in which Arnold materials can be exported in .fbx/glb/obj format, please share them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums