Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External SSD not appearing in MacOS for Maya installation

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
laj105
1125 Views, 5 Replies

External SSD not appearing in MacOS for Maya installation

I'm brand new to Maya and have fallen at the first hurdle! I'm trying to install to my 2017 iMac. I use an external SSD as the boot drive which is permanently connected via USB-C. However, when I run the AutoInstaller I am only given the option to install to my internal HDD (which I only use for Time Machine backups).

I've never known this to happen before; does anyone know why this would be the case?

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
alec.andersenLP8AU
in reply to: laj105

Hi @laj105,

Maya is designed to operate best locally, on an internal drive. While you could copy the files from install wherever you'd like to put them, this generally isn't recommended, which is why the utility to store in additional drives isn't provided. However, provided you're careful, you could certainly do this after the generic install.

Message 3 of 6
laj105
in reply to: alec.andersenLP8AU

Thanks for the information!

Message 4 of 6

This does not offer an acceptable solution. 

We have students who work off of their portable external drives on the college computers, and there is no way to let them work off their own drives, so they can take their projects with them to other classrooms or computers to work on them.  This is a problem that needs to be resolved.  Maya 2020 doesn't even acknowledge or see any external drives, although it sees external network server drives.  Even using the 'show hidden folders' function does not allow external drives to be displayed.

There must be a better answer than this, and a way to allow external drives as an option for storing and working with Maya projects.  We used to be able to do this in earlier versions of Maya.  Please change it back.

Message 5 of 6
cathy_easthope

Message 6 of 6
PuChiNgBaLLz

you may try to set the external device as a local one, i dont use Mac but it´s possible in Windows i guess it can be done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums