Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a model to FBX-Format - Error occours! Please help me

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3440 Views, 10 Replies

Exporting a model to FBX-Format - Error occours! Please help me

Hi @all,

I'm a real noob in terms of Maya but I'm doing my best to improve my skills. I want to use one of my models in a program called "3D Game Studio 7", but the only file-format Maya *and* 3DGS are supporting is ".fbx". Well, I tried the "Export All..." command and everything seemed to work fine, but then I got this error message:

-----------------------------------------------------
Error: File Input / Output Error (1)
Description: Error writing the FBX file...
-----------------------------------------------------

Not exactly what I would call a "useful description". What did I do wrong? I used the standard-settings, except from selecting "fbx" from the drop-down list... Please help me, it would be really important for me.

Greetz!

Alan
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
aaron1a12
in reply to: Anonymous

I also use 3D Gamestudio 7 and Maya and the problem with exporting FBX is that I think you can only use polygonal meshes, i.e. no lights, no nurbs, no particles, no animations, etc. Maybe try triangulating your meshes.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I thought about that, too. But I just tried to create a new scene in Maya, with nothing but a simple Polygon-Cube in it and then I wanted to export it. I got the same error as yesterday, although yesterday I wanted to export a way more complex model. So that is definitly not the reason for that error... But - since you are using 3DGS too, how do you export your Maya-Models...?

Greetz!

Alan
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Somebody, please help me, I really need to get that error fixed...
Message 5 of 11
aaron1a12

I export my models (props as a vehicle, player, etc) as OBJ to the MED Model editor, but I export my levels as FBX. But your error seems to appear once you're exporting the FBX, which means that your Maya is the problem. Make sure you have the latest FBX plug-in for Maya loaded.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I tried to download and update the FBX-Exporter-Plugin now and it all worked just fine, however, the error *still* appears... On the same DL-page i got the plug-in from, I found a FBX-Converter. I downloaded, installed and startet it without problems. Then I exportet my model in Maya as .dxf-file (which worked fine by the way...), loaded it into the converter, selected "Convert to FBX" as the operation and clicked on the "convert"-button. Well, in the program it said "incomplete operation", in the log file it says the following:

File does not exist : C:\Users\...\gargoyle_test.dxf

I *know* that the file "gargoyle_test.dxf" exists in the folder, I can see it in the windows-explorer, it has a size of 7.023KB and *exactly* the same name - and no, I don't use it in Maya the same time. The file most definitly exists, but the converter says that it does'nt. What the hell is going on...? Seems like my computer doesn't like FBX... is it possible that it has something to do with Vista...? I'm using Vista and not XP, you know... I hope that it hasn't got to do anything with it....

Please if *anybody* has got an idea about what could be going on here - I really need help with this...
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I'm sorry for being so annoying but this error is really a serious one - and i *need* to get it fixed by all means neccessary... I'm very grateful for any advice you can give me.....

Greetz

Alan
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

126 views... and nobody has an explanation why my FBX-Plugin is not working at all? Come on, you can't be serious with that...
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Hi

Little late but... Anyway, i ran into the same problem with FBXConverter not working at all and found out that special characters in the path to the source_file messed things up. Clean path -> clean convert.

Cheers
Message 10 of 11
domevans

If anyone is still having this problem as I have go to Edit > Delete all by type and then just go down the list deleting everything until it works 

Message 11 of 11
max2C6DZ

14 years later, still a problem. Dear god.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report