Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed when saving scene

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jhsu2R56R
8259 Views, 9 Replies

Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed when saving scene

I keep getting this error in the Command Line when saving my scene file:

file -save;

// F:/.../scenefile~7.mb // 
// Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed // 
// Warning: Failed to open texture file f:/.../ai_height.tif //

The file is a 32-bit grayscale tif that I am using as a displacement map and is in the correct file location.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? I don't understand why I'm getting this error.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: jhsu2R56R

Hi @jhsu2R56R

It looks like Maya is just struggling to open the file.

Are there any weird characters in the file path you have set like " ' . : ; -" . If so try removing those and see if anything changes.

You could also try saving the file in a different bit like 16 or 24, or you could try to export 3 channel 32 bit not grayscale.

Please let me know if anything changes!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 10
jhsu2R56R
in reply to: sean.heasley

I had to convert the image files to  3-channel RGB and it finally resolved the error.

Is this some kind of bug? I don't understand how Maya is having issues simply reading a single channel grayscale image.

Message 4 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @jhsu2R56R

It might be due to how Maya handles IFF files but I'm going to look into that and see if I can confirm that this is indeed an issue that needs to be fixed.

Message 5 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

Maya has problem with file formats other than "simple" RGB.

So don't use greyscale images, CMYK images, or tif files with layers.

Message 6 of 10
jhsu2R56R
in reply to: mspeer

Okay, thanks for the input. Just another random quirk I have to tell my students.

I've heard people talk about Maya being challenging, I always thought it was because of the subject matter, but really it's because of all these little bugs, quirks, random errors and the software being very unstable.

It obscures the subject matter and takes a lot of headspace when I have to waste half the class explaining all the bugs and workarounds to students as they are trying to learn.

Message 7 of 10
mspeer

Hi!

Maya is not a print application. It's main target is film and games.

Maya offers an advanced Color Management workflow which only works with RGB images.

Would it be great if other formats would be supported, yes sure, but it's just not the case.

There are also other "media applications" that do not support image formats other than RGB, so to use RGB images with an RGB Color Space is recommended anyway.

Message 8 of 10
smb
Contributor

I was having the same issue with a simple RGB tiff file used as a surface texture. Then I discovered that I was saving the tif files out of Photoshop with byte order inadvertently set to Macintosh. The problem went away when the byte order was set to IBM PC.

Message 9 of 10
mark

I have a similar issue with 2017 reading and writing psd files. Drives me nuts.  any help on this? 

// Connected file1.outColor to lambert2.color. //
// createRenderNodeWindow //
// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2017/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/AETemplates/AEfileTemplate.mel line 42: Image conversion (to IFF) failed //
// Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed //

Message 10 of 10
mark

This also affects my ability to 3d paint on a surface and store the output as a psd file.  fingers crossed you have a solution. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report