Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eGPU support for macbook pro

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1912 Views, 5 Replies

eGPU support for macbook pro

Hi!

I was wondering whether Maya supports the use of eGPU with a macbook pro? A lot of softwares are starting to adapt to this method, so just wondered which graphic cards are supported in the form of a eGpu? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

At the moment I'm not sure on this because not a lot of Maya users work with eGPUs.

That said, in theory as long as the Mac properly recognizes it and it is a visible GPU device Maya should be able to work with it.

Most likely this support will be more common in Maya 2019 and 2020 as eGPUs see more usage.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

hi!

ah ok! good to know! 

and just one last thing, with the new macbook pro, with the intel iris graphics chip 128, will this be ok? I dont see it on the list of supported hardware.  Hence i was looking into eGPU's

Cheers!

Message 4 of 6
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

You're right and that its not on our supported hardware list so I can't guarantee it will be 100% perfect.

That said, there are users on these boards who work with that GPU and are fine however there was an issue a few months ago with the Iris GPUs but I believe it was a driver issue and was or is being fixed by them for the near future.

Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

great thanks for the reply!

I will go buy the macbook pro now 🙂 

Message 6 of 6
rfstudios

Hi Sean,

has there been any progress on the eGPU thing? I'm using a MacBook Pro with eGPU, both internal an external are AMD GPU. Is there any way I can make use of this in Maya 2022? I saw that realtime rendering in Arnold is still not available for the Mac version. Is there any other renderer that can be suggested which would work with eGPU as well as realtime rendering?

Many Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report