Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Object > duplicates animation layers, but layers aren't editable

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bopz
1963 Views, 12 Replies

Duplicate Object > duplicates animation layers, but layers aren't editable

1. Create an object, with animation, and 2 animation layers, "BaseAnimation" and "Pulse" 
  2. Edit > Duplicate Special (duplicate input graph) 
  3. Object is duplicated with duplicated animation curves, and duplicated animation layers. All duplicated nodes are renamed. The duplicated animation layers are visible in the Relationship Editor and Hypergraph 
  4. The duplicated animation layers do not display in the Animation Layer Editor, and cannot be managed.

Any idea how to duplicate an object with animation layers that behave normally?

Using Maya 2016.5 Extension 2, Win 10

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
sean.heasley
in reply to: bopz

Hi @bopz and welcome to the community!

I'm not sure if the layers are supposed to be duplicated when you use the Duplicate command.

That said, have you tried manually copying the animation layers to a new one with the duplicated object? That could help solve your issue.

Steps to do so can be found here!

Please let me know if this helps solve your issue or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 13
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @bopz

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did you get a chance to try the steps I provided yesterday? Did they help you at all?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 13
bopz

In this job, I'm creating a small crowd. My intent was to use animation layers to filter graph editor curve displays. I'd have preferred all the copied objects and their copied animation to remain in the original animation layers actually. But there is no option to do this. 

I'm not even sure what the purpose of the copy animation layer function is, since I could have copied the animation and pasted it to a duplicated object, creating a new animation layer from scratch from the pasted curves, with equal (or possibly less) effort.

The object has already been duplicated 39 times, each with 2 layers, and the copied animations had already been modified, by the time I realized you'd responded. I am not sure if it's practical to do 78 duplicates, with animation layers, by the method you've described, in a reasonable amount of time. I can only report what I ended up doing: I was simply forced to select the animation curves in the graph editor list panel, item by item, rather than using the animation layer editor panel to filter curve display or to filter channel box key-framing. 

I believe the undesirable creation of animation layers that don't function properly is some kind of bug. I'd report it, but the bug report web page doesn't load. 

Message 5 of 13
sean.heasley

Hi @bopz

While I dont't believe it's a bug, I can see why it can hinder your workflow and how you would like to see it changed.

That said, you should create a post on the Maya Ideas Board. This is a board regularly checked by the dev team as they look to see what changes/updates the community wants to see in future versions of Maya!

Message 6 of 13
bopz

Well, if the duplicated animtion layers were editable in the animation layer editor panel, I could have merged them, and that would have been OK.

If new animation layers are created, but these new layers do not appear in the animation layer editor panel, and cannot be edited or managed, it does seem to be a bug. 

Message 7 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

It's only "Duplicate input graph", but you also would need to something like "Duplicate output graph" and/or "Duplicate output connections". That's not what this tools does (or is designed for).

Message 8 of 13
bopz
in reply to: mspeer

I won't speculate on the "design" of the tool.

Instead, I'll just point out:
- the documentation claims that objects, and their animation, can be copied using "duplicate" 
- non-functional animation layers, which do not display in the animation layer editor, are a possible result. 

Message 9 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

No speculation:

"Turn this option on to force the duplication of all upstream nodes leading up to the selected object. Upstream nodes are defined as all nodes with connections feeding into selected nodes."

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/fil...

So this works for simple animations with input-connections from keys but not for output connections from objects to layers...

If you want to copy objects including Animation Layers try Copy/Paste.

Message 10 of 13
sean.heasley
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @bopz

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion that @mspeer provided work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 11 of 13
benm3d

Getting the same issue with Duplicate Special. Certainly looks like a bug from where I'm sitting...

It's some coding that has additional unintended consequences because the person designing the code didn't fully test it before release. Similarly to posts passim, giving workarounds doesn't stop the bug happening. If the duplicate special tool worked properly as mspeer suggests it does, it wouldn't have an effect on downstream nodes, either leaving links intact, or not making them. ( animation stays in existing layers or is on default base layer).

Creating additional non editable invisible downstream nodes as it currently does is a bug in Autodesk's coding.

Not, as mspeer seems to suggest, user error on bopz's part.

Obviously, this will all be sorted out in 2019 and anyone who can't upgrade will have to go whistle.

Message 12 of 13
hilyard
in reply to: benm3d

Well it looks like this was not fixed in 2019, as I'm in 2022 and still getting the same behaviour. Duplicate special with Duplicate Input Graph = on creates hidden animation layers (including a duplicate Base Animation layer) which can be see in the Node editor but do not appear in the Anim Layer window . I can access the hidden ani layers in the Attribute Editor and set them to locked, but it does not actually lock the keyframes on those layers. This seriously limits the usefulness of animation layers.

Message 13 of 13
benm3d
in reply to: hilyard

Other unrelated but slightly similar joy - skin a referenced geo and it
will become locked. Try to unlock the geo and tou will be told you can't
because locked attributes on references cannot be changed..

(Turn on preferences/references/allow edits and you can deal with this, and
even after it's changed back to default,the file is still ok with the
unlock)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report