Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domino stones doesnt all fall the way they are supposed to

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
1251 Views, 24 Replies

domino stones doesnt all fall the way they are supposed to

Hey guys,

I'm having some weird problems with my domino stones. i set them up at a curve and put 2 keyframes (1 and 10) on the first domino (i deleted the original) and had to take off the gravity from the stones because they kept falling down from my plane -_- 

well now only a few stones at the very beginning fall. the rest doesnt. What am i doing wrong? 

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

Can you provide a screenshot/video of your issue?

If you need a video capturing program, Screencast is a great option that we use here at Autodesk

Or when you get a chance, can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

sure

Message 4 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

It looks like this is happening due to the gravity/force behind the first domino. It doesn't have a lot of strength and there's a lot of space inbetween the dominos so they fall really slowly. I was able to get over half of them to fall down but this was by jacking the timeline up to about 5000 frames.

I found this tutorial that may help you get the effect you're looking for!

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more information!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

oh ok so you are saying that my stones has to be closer to each other?

Message 6 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Yes I believe so.

If you need to double check your set up be sure to check out that video I posted above!

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous

now they are closer to each other but it still doesnt work

Message 8 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Did you set the colliders and gravity properly?

Also have you had a chance to follow the steps in that video?

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

i followed the steps in that video. the stones has a gravity but i didnt put a collider on the stones. i didnt know i need it

Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

i made the stones collide with the plane. not a good idea. the plane moves a way lol

Message 11 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I just followed along with the tutorial and it works fine. When you made a collider for the ground, did you make sure to set it as a passive rigid body?

Also, did you rotate the first domino enough forward before you keyed it so there was a good amount of force?

The tutorial there shows every step so please be sure to check to make sure everything is set up properly!

Let me know if you need any more assistance!

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous

hi, dont know what i am doing wrong 😕

Message 13 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

It looks like you missed a few steps and/or made a few things passive colliders when they should've been active. I went ahead and made my own video of the same effect that should help you out!

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous

wow, mate. Thank you so much! 

I think i just realized what i kept doing wrong 😮 i always moved the curve up to be centered with the stones! You didnt moved the curve and it worked perfectly fine 😮 I'll try that out now and will let you know.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

can you please check if you have marked those "active" and "Particle collision" ? Because ive gravity on the stones and a passive rigid body on the plane and the stones keep falling off. I thought maybe its because either one of those "acitve" and/or "particle collision" has to be marked too? my maya isnt working correctly.. i already hit on break rigid connections but i wont break them 😕 not sure whats wrong with maya

so since i cant break the rigid connctions, i keep starting the whole project again 😕 its really annoying! 

Message 16 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

You shouldn't have to give any of the dominoes a collider. Once you have them set up all you have to do is give the floor a passive collider. You can check after assigning the passive collider by playing back the animation and making sure the dominoes don't fall through.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous

no i meant when you put a passive rigid on the plane... u also check "active" and "particle collision" ? do u check both or only one of them?

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

ive to know if the passiv rigid body option has to have active and particle collision checked or not. im afraid to try that out myself because i cant break the rigid connection and have to start all over again 😕 (i know how to do so, its just that maya wouldnt let me) 

Message 19 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I have both of them unchecked. I think you're adding an additional step you don't have to worry about. When you're setting the collider, you can simply press the option and not the little toggled box next to it.

Let me know if this helps!

Message 20 of 25
Anonymous

its still doesnt work. whatever i check or unceck the dominos just fall 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report