Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut (Negative Extrude) A Object

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
ThePieMonster
3971 Views, 2 Replies

Cut (Negative Extrude) A Object

Hello,

I am new to Maya and I am trying to cut (negative extrude) this triangle face downwards so I'm left with the other half of the square but I am unsure how to do this. In Inventor you could say extrude and then pull downwards but here you seem to get this negative space which doesn't seem like the proper solution.

I come from AutoDesk Inventor so I am very used to the Inventor way of doing things and have had trouble picking up Maya. Is there any helpful info for people coming from Inventor to Maya?

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

A combination of the Multi-Cut tool and Fill Hole Tool is what you're looking for.

Cut faces with the Multi-Cut Tool

Slice faces with the Multi-Cut Tool

I also made a screen-cast demo for this particular case. I like to be precise with how I cut geometry in order to keep clean topology. I'm also used to using the old Cut Faces tool from previous version of Maya where you had to select what you were cutting by selecting vertices - but the Multi-Cut Tool has far more options these days. I used the Fill Hole Tool in this case but another option is the Quad Draw Tool.

Let me know if this was helpful to you and if you need any further help 🙂

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 3 of 3

Good screen-cast. I like to be precise as well hence why I use Inventor so much when I do my engineering work. 🙂

Thanks for the video!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report