Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashing caused by Maya or system?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
E-Ren
189 Views, 4 Replies

Crashing caused by Maya or system?

I had gotten a laptop new a couple years ago and using Maya runs pretty smoothly for the most part. But it seems when I am working a lot with rendering and textures, crashing occurs way more often. I wanted to throw my laptop specs here which aren't the beefiest of specs, but wanted your guys input on whether or not it is the main reason I am getting these crashes? When I can afford it, I plan to build a new desktop entirely for modeling. I can share more but I feel these three are the most important, yes?

Processor :

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz

RAM:

16.0 GB

Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hamsterHamster
in reply to: E-Ren

The info is too scarce. No OS, no Maya version, no likely actions that cause crash mentioned.

Also, you could inspect your Temp folder for MayaCrashLogYYMMDD.HHMM.log files, those might give some insights. E.g. mine M2019 always crashes upon file opening if the Hypershade is open.. most likely because of Redshift installed.

,,,_°(O__O)°_,,,
Maya2019.1 @ Windows10 & GeForce GTX1080Ti

If the post was helpful, click the
 ACCEPT SOLUTION  button, so others might find it much more easily.

Message 3 of 5
E-Ren
in reply to: hamsterHamster

OS Windows 11 Home 64
Maya 2020.4

It usually happens when it's rendering.
Rendering in MtoA 5.0.0.2

I can mess with the hypershade, because it was indeed open during these events since I was working on texturing.

Until I can afford to build a new machine which I am planning, since this is a Laptop (Dell XPS 15 9570) I am wondering if I should upgrade the RAM from 16gb to 32 or even 64gb. I do run two additional monitors from the laptop as I model that are also displaying things such as youtube video tutorials, and browsing various websites as I am still educating myself on the software.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: E-Ren

could be Windows 11 Autodesk has not said Maya is compatible with it

more than likely your laptop is overheating from the rendering check your cpu temps

Message 5 of 5
E-Ren
in reply to: Anonymous

What would be the best way to resolve that if that is the case? It is a laptop so it is more prone to over heating. I do have it elevated for optimal ventilation and air flow on a stand about 4-5" from the desk. 

Also to clarify it is Maya that crashes alone. Nothing else seems to be affected.

EDIT**

Yea i popped up Core Temp and they are pushing the max temps. I am going to get some fresh thermal paste and on top of that I am going to try to decide whether or not I want to replace the fans or go with a Cooling pad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums