Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinates in New UV Editor

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
7207 Views, 21 Replies

Coordinates in New UV Editor

I loved being able to select a UV and see its coordinate space, or a group of UVs and by editing these fields I could quickly position the entire group.

Are these completely gone in the new Maya 2017 UV editor? Is there any way to enable them or bring them back. 

This coordinate box was literally the meat and potatoes of my UV workflow, and the new tools take a surprising amount more time.

UVCoordinates.png 

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous sadly this tool has been removed because we have added many different features for snapping/alignment that can do the same thing you would do when you typed the coordinates manually. While this feature is not available I'm sure a script could be made to work the way the tool used to.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Yes I am also missing having UV Coordinates in the UV window, I work on 3D assets that require very precise UV placements and I can't seem to find a way of typing in specific UV coordinates now without writing a MEL script.

What work around do you have for this using the new UV tools? will the Coordinates return in an update?

Also I LOVE the new UV tools they are so good.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

Hi ya,

Did you find a way of doing this yet? I really need a way of placing UVs exactly on an asset.

Cheers

Message 5 of 22
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I talked to a co-worker about this and sadly the fields for absolute U and V placement are gone with the redesign.  However, there are new fields in the UV Toolkit that allow you to do something similar.  

If you look in the Transform section of the UV Toolkit, next to, "Move", there are 8 arrows with a button in the middle labeled, "REL".  If you click the REL button, it switches to ABS - you're effectively switching from relative to absolute.  You can then enter a value in the field to the left of this area and then click the U, V or UV button to move the selection to that absolute position; i.e. enter 0.1 and click the U button to set the selection's position to 0.1 in U.

I know it's not as convenient as it used to be but hopefully this work around helps with your issue!

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue, or reply with additional details if the problem persists.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

My work around has been to have two versions of Maya installed... It sounds
kinda silly, but actually works quite well.
2017 main modeling
2016 precision UV work and mentalray baking
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

This doesn't seem to work as it did before and feels a bit strange to me.

1. So this is my basic UV layout and I've selected two areas of UVs

Capture_01.PNG

Then I choose absolute value of 0.5 

Capture_02.PNG

Hi apply and expect to see this result

Capture_04.PNG

but actually end up with this result 😞

Capture_03.PNG

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

Message 9 of 22
sean.heasley

Ok but this is good! While .5 didn't move to where you wanted to you can see that it moved about half a grid space. So instead of typing .5 you would want to type -2 so it will move down 2 full units.

Let me know if this works for you!

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue, or reply with additional details if the problem persists.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 10 of 22
mspeer

Hi!

Retain Component Spacing is always on for Move ABS, the UV's are moved as group, so it will not work as you want.

Workaround:

First set them to the same U value by moving (use snapping "on" and Retain Component Spacing "off".

Then use Move ABS

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Yes both methods work but it feels like a step backward, any scope of putting back the U and V coordinates back into the editor?

Message 12 of 22
sean.heasley

Unfortunately I can't say what plans we have for any new/upcoming updates but if I find out I'll be sure to let you know!

Message 13 of 22
JMSautodesk

Holy cow!  this is a horrible step backwards! some of the new tools are finally working better, but seriously.. never take away the artist's ability to be precise with his/her work!  

Screw this.. Im going back to Max... 

Message 14 of 22
PixelDeluxe

I've just been hunting around in the UV editor for ages, looking for the coodinates, only to find out that Autodesk have removed them!

This is mental! Get it added back in as soon as possible please! I used them all the time when rigging; e.g when using the UV coodinates to attach items to meshes. 

Also, EVERY SINGLE TIME I open up the new UV editor, the useless UV toolkit takes up the entire screen space (why does this exist, the right click hot box does everything you need to UV map), and the actual UV window is forced to open up in a tiny pane. It happens literally every single time I use the editor (even in single sessions), its proving to be incredibly annoying. I've filed reports, and even posted up in the "things to fix forum", but its still doing it. 

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

I'm definitely missing the UV coordinate placement tools as well!  I used them all the time, not just for entering a value, but also to simply find the coordinates of my current UVs.

If you aren't going to add back the old system, there should at least be a heads up display option so I can easily see the UV coordinates of my selected UV.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

The only way I found to display the UV coordinates is to select a vertex and run this little script

import pymel.core as pm

sel = pm.ls(selection=True)
print sel[0].getUV()

But the coordinates should be bring back in the UI. How can you setup a 'Point on poly' constraint if you can't find the UV coordinates somewhere?

Cheers

Message 17 of 22
eduart3d

This tool that allows you to see the coordinates of the uv is necessary for the processes of RIgging, since knowing the coordinates of a certain vertex or UV you can put a follicle in that same coordinate in such a way that you can connect to a direct facial control, before withdrawing something it will be good for you to stop to think that it is necessary for other aspects of Maya.
Otherwise you can know this medialte mel script.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

As this was addressed so long ago, ans I still see no real solution for this in the editor I assume there are no plans to fix this? Removing those boxes and such for something that is this simple and fundamental (and just uses a few lines of scrips to edit and read) feels like a big middle finger to the longtime users. Like something that is only made to satisfy a designer or engineer, not to really help or satisfy any real users.

As for now, are there any plans to fix this? If you don't know, who should I ask about it? Because this is a real issue.

Message 19 of 22
NandoStille

fix +1

Bring back the numeric input/info fields!

It's like removing the translate value fields of transforms in favour of a suite of fancy snap and align functions for positioning. Well, the new uv functions are fancy indeed, but ... you get the point.

Message 20 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: JMSautodesk

Don't switch, they're just about to fix the plugins not loading thing! 🙂 Seriously though, this is very surprising. I just want my uv to go to the top left corner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report