Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant't replace textures when saving in Photoshop when using Maya 2020

52 REPLIES 52
Message 1 of 53
daniel_uppling
4390 Views, 52 Replies

Cant't replace textures when saving in Photoshop when using Maya 2020

Hi,

When working on textures in Photoshop I usually edit the files and replace them by saving.

Using Maya 2020 this annoying this started happening, Photoshop says it can't replace the file, becuase it's used in another software (Maya!). When quitting Maya I can overwrite the files again. This is a big deal, because I edit textures a lot and since Maya is the slowest starting software in the history of mankind (no offense) it's a pain to having to do this every time. I also use Vray Next, so I can't be a 100% sure this i Maya's fault, but it doesn't happen in Maya 2019 with Vray Next.

Is there some way of sorting this out please?

kind regards,

Daniel

52 REPLIES 52
Message 2 of 53

Hi @daniel_uppling 

Thanks for posting! Could you tell me a bit more about your setup?

1. Do you have the latest update for 2020 installed? (update 2020.1) Updates are separate installations that are not included in the initial download of Maya. It might be worth checking to see if Vray next has an update as well!
  2. Are you on Windows or Mac? What specific OS?
  3. Does this behavior change depending on the file type you save from photoshop?
  4. Have you tried closing Maya and Resetting your preferences?

Thanks again for being a part of our community!

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 53

Hey @jordan.giboney,

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it. You know what, doesn't seem that I have updated to 2020.1, I actually thought I had. I'll start with that. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll just give you the answers to the other questions for now:

1. No, downloading now.

2. Windows (almost ashamed to tell you; Windows 7. We were about to get new machine with newer os, but then corona strikes).

3. Not sure, will have to check if problem stays after updating.

4. No, will give it a go if problem stays after updating.

Thank you,

Daniel

Message 4 of 53

Hi @jordan.giboney ,

Now I've tried all your suggestions, here are updated answers:

1. Updating to Maya 2020.1 did nothing, still can't overwrite my files, Photoshop says another software is using them.

Also, I uninstalled VRay, the problem is still there so it's not a VRay issue.

2. Already answered

3. I mostly use TIF-files, they are affected by the problem, JPGs don't seem to be affected, i.e. I can't overwrite TIFs, but I can overwrite JPGs. It's still a problem though, it's not a long-time solution for me to use JPGs every time.

4. Resetting the prefs didn't help (renamed the prefs folder and made sure a new one was generated when restarting Maya).

As stated earlier, I still have Maya 2019 installed and I don't have this issue there, so something has changed in 2020.

kind regards,

Daniel

Message 5 of 53

Hi @daniel_uppling 

Thanks for all those replies! My next theory is that it may be tied to Windows 7, but I just tested it on my Windows 10 machine and got the same results as you did - errors when trying to save only with Maya 2020, but Maya 2019 works as expected. I'm going to file this with our development team for further investigation.

That being said, a resolution may take some time to discover/implement (legal restrictions dont allow us to share the specifics of that info, sadly). But keep an eye on our Release Notes page - whenever a new update is published, a list of resolved issues is also available. This is the best way to know if it has been fixed 🙂 For now, I am glad to know that 2019 is functioning as expected. 

Thanks again for being a part of our forums! 

Jordan Giboney

Message 6 of 53

Hi @jordan.giboney ,

Thank you for trying this with Windows 10. That's a very good piece of information to know that it's not only on my setup this happens, so thank you for that. I'll keep an eye on that page and stick to JPGs when possible (it doesn't support 16 or 32-bit depth unfortunately).

kind regards,

Daniel

Message 7 of 53

sure thing, @daniel_uppling  😄 thanks for your understanding for this situation. I really appreciate it!

Since we have 2019 as a workaround for now, would you mind marking the solution for this post? That will help others that run into this find the answer faster. 

Thanks again, and happy Maya-ing!

Jordan Giboney

Message 8 of 53

Hi @jordan.giboney ,

Yes, well it's usually a good experience when the support staff recognizes that the error could possibly be withing their own software, so that I don't have too spend valuable time trying to convince them. It's very nice that you actually tried it yourself and reproduced the error on your end.

kind regards,

Daniel

Message 9 of 53
przewalsky
in reply to: jordan.giboney

I think it might be good to let you know I encounter the same problem (with jpeg files also). I noticed the problem does not occur right away. At first I can edit a texture image in Photoshop and save it and then edit and save it again, without a problem. I noticed the issue starts after I interrupted a test render. After I rendered a scene only halfway and pressed Escape to abort and then adjusted the image again in Photoshop the following error came up: "Could not save ... because the file is already in use or was left open by another application."

Maybe a cache issue?

Message 10 of 53
przewalsky
in reply to: przewalsky

I forgot to mention I'm working in Maya 2020.2.

Message 11 of 53
przewalsky

The issue seems to be solved in the 2020.3 update

Thanks for that.

Message 12 of 53
daniel_uppling

Hi,

No, 2020.3 did not fix this issue for me, unfortunately.

This means I still can't use Maya 2020.3 at all since texturing is a big part of what I do.

It's sad when you pay subscription for it and then you can't use it beacause of something simple like this.

@jordan.giboney 

Message 13 of 53
przewalsky
in reply to: daniel_uppling

Well, it seems like I was too optimistic. The problem is back again and I don't know what triggered it. It did not occur at first, but started after I rendered a scene.

Message 14 of 53
daniel_uppling

@przewalsky For me it was enough to just connect the image in Hypershade for it to fail to be overwritten in Photoshop. 😕

Message 15 of 53
mspeer

Hi!

I did some tests about this issue and I guess I found out what's causing it and can provide a workaround for Maya 2020.

The problem seems to be the texture conversion to TX from Arnold.

To unlock textures:

1. In Render Settings:

Arnold Renderer -> Textures -> Auto-convert Textures to TX (uncheck)

2. In Arnold Render View:

Render -> Update Full Scene

As a temporary workaround you could keep the following disabled in Render Settings:

1) Arnold Renderer -> Textures -> Auto-convert Textures to TX

2) Arnold Renderer -> Textures -> Use Existing TX Textures

Maybe @jordan.giboney or @Stephen.Blair can confirm if this has already been identified, or add this to the bug report.

Message 16 of 53
daniel_uppling
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @mspeer 

I tried your workaround and it works. Thank you so much for this find!

The "Update Full Scene" command seems to be key and needs to be executed even if "Auto-convert Textures to TX"  and "Use Existing TX Textures" are disabled from startup of Maya.

To really point out that this very much is a workaround, the "Update Full Scene" takes a while to finish if your scene is heavy. It works, but it's far from optimal.

What I did instead, after learning that this is a Arnold related issue, is that I disabled the Arnold plugin all together since I'm currently rendering with V-Ray. Also not optimal, but also works.

The optimal thing would be if this is actually fixed at some point, this bug's been around for a while now, looking at you Autodesk. 😉

Message 17 of 53
przewalsky

Thanks, that did the trick for me too. Indeed, the Update Full Scene command seems to be the key, but both steps are needed for it to work.

Message 18 of 53
mspeer

Hi!

@daniel_uppling and @przewalsky 

"The "Update Full Scene" command seems to be key and needs to be executed even if "Auto-convert Textures to TX" and "Use Existing TX Textures" are disabled from startup of Maya."

I can't confirm this and technically it also does not make sense.

If the TX creation process is no longer used during a Maya session, the files can't be locked by this process.

Please keep in mind that this setting is a scene setting and not a Maya setting, so if you open a new scene, then other settings may be used, so you need to change the settings for all existing scenes.

Also manually triggering a TX creation process in the Arnold menu can lock the files again (even so Hypershade/Swatch Render or every other process that triggers a TX creation process with Arnold)

In case you mean the files do not update automatically, then you are right, the files are no longer locked, but to update the renderer with new saved image versions you need to use

a) "Update Full Scene" or

b) stopping and starting Arnold IPR with "Clear Scene on IPR Stop" enabled.

Message 19 of 53
przewalsky

I sometimes get the feeling Arnold doesn't completely finishes rendering. It's like The scene looks like it's finished rendering but it's only for 99,99% complete and Arnold is still running in the background. That occurs more clearly when I render only a small region within the Render View window.

I did a small test: I opened a new scene. I did not adjust the Arnold TX settings. Next I did a full render off the scene. After that was complete I tried to edit one of the textures in the scene. It still worked and was able to save it.

Than, in the Render View window,  I rendered a small region and while it was rendering, the progress bar in the lower left corner went all the way up to 100% but did not disappear, like it should when finished. Also, the blue circle cursor, indicating the render is in progress, did not become the usual arrow cursor again.

So, even though the render seemed finished, the rendering process still seemed to be going on.

I made a screenshot to clarify.

After this I tried to edit the texture again and now I could not save the file and the error message reappeared.

So to me it seems like Arnold does not always shut down completely, even after it says rendering is finished.render screen Arnoldrender screen Arnold

Message 20 of 53
daniel_uppling

Hi @mspeer 

"I can't confirm this and technically it also does not make sense.

If the TX creation process is no longer used during a Maya session, the files can't be locked by this process.

Please keep in mind that this setting is a scene setting and not a Maya setting, so if you open a new scene, then other settings may be used, so you need to change the settings for all existing scenes."

Yes, I noticed during my testing of this workaround that the settings revert when restarting Maya, so I made a render preset where these settings are turned off by default. I did this by picking my preset in "Render Settings" > "Presets" > "Set Preferred Render Settings".

I confirmed that they were disabled after a restart of Maya I didn't load a scene, but just created a sphere and attached a file node in Hypershade and loaded the texture. After this I couldn't overwrite the file again in Photoshop. I had to execute the "Update Full Scene" command. After doing this final step I could overwrite the file in Photoshop.

The only way I could keep this permanent was to completely disable Arnold in the plug in manager.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums