Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot select a single object in Maya 2019 for Mac

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Eadig
367 Views, 3 Replies

Cannot select a single object in Maya 2019 for Mac

Hello everyone

While using Maya 2019 for Mac, I noticed I could not select a single object at all. Whenever I throw in a new primitive, all of the objects are selected, so transforming the object forcefully transforms all other objects too:

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 9.25.11 PM.png

I did Google searches before posting this and tried resetting system preferences and ensuring I was doing that in the Select Objects mode, but I wasn't getting anywhere.

Please someone help me find a solution to this glitch.

Thanks for reading!

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Eadig
in reply to: Eadig

I just noticed that disabling soft-select resolves this issue, but is it necessary to have this option turned on? What might be the merit?

Message 3 of 4
brentmc

Hi,

Soft selection can be toggled on/off with the B hotkey so you probably hit this key by accident which is how it became enabled. (since it is off by default)

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-FF7C8670-97C7-4C13-9A6F-3B0A8F881EC9

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 4 of 4
brentmc

Hi,

Soft selection is useful for modeling as it allows you to apply a falloff to the selected components as shown in the docs:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-FF7C8670-97C7-4C13-9A6F-3B0A8F881EC9 

As I mentioned before it is not on by default but was likely enabled by accidentally hitting the B key and the setting is preserved across Maya sessions.

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report