Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot open Maya 2018 after fresh install

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
calebdnagy
2406 Views, 11 Replies

cannot open Maya 2018 after fresh install

// Error: line 86: Cannot find procedure "buildDefaultHotBoxMenu". //

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/muscle/cMuscle.mel line 505: menu: Object 'mainRigDeformationsMenu' not found. //

// AbcExport v1.0 using Alembic 1.5.8 (built Dec 24 2015 17:46:02)

// AbcImport v1.0 using Alembic 1.5.8 (built Dec 24 2015 17:46:02)

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/others/addSelectTypeItem.mel line 101: Cannot find procedure "updateSelectTypeItemState". //

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: initializePlugin function failed (gpuCache) //

// Error: line 1: initializePlugin function failed (gpuCache) //

// Warning: file: /Users/calebnagy/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 4: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiImage.filename' is invalid or is not designated 'usedAsFilename'. //

// Warning: file: /Users/calebnagy/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 5: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiPhotometricLight.aiFilename' is invalid or is not designated 'usedAsFilename'. //

// Warning: file: /Users/calebnagy/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 6: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiStandIn.dso' is invalid or is not designated 'usedAsFilename'. //

// Warning: file: /Users/calebnagy/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/prefs/filePathEditorRegistryPrefs.mel line 7: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiVolume.filename' is invalid or is not designated 'usedAsFilename'. //

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/xgmToolRegistration.mel line 58: Cannot find procedure "xgmToolManagerRegisterTool". //

// Warning: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/igInitialize.mel line 78: Couldn't source xgmToolRegistration.mel //

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/startup/ModObjectsMenu.mel line 55: setParent: Object 'mainModifyMenu' not found. //

// Error: Failed to register Initialize Maya Modify menu. Cannot add Convert Primitives to Polygons menu item. //

# pymel.core : Updating pymel with pre-loaded plugins: mayaHIK, GamePipeline, CloudImportExport, tiffFloatReader, bifrostvisplugin, ikSpringSolver, ik2Bsolver, xgenToolkit, AbcExport, retargeterNodes, gameFbxExporter, VectorRender, OpenEXRLoader, lookdevKit, Unfold3D, Type, mayaCharacterization, modelingToolkit, MayaMuscle, rotateHelper, matrixNodes, bifmeshio, AbcImport, autoLoader, sceneAssembly, Substance, OneClick, shaderFXPlugin, bifrostshellnode, renderSetup, ArubaTessellator, quatNodes, fbxmaya

evalDeferred "shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate";

// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiStandIn.dso' and label 'Standin' have been saved already. //

// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiVolume.filename' and label 'VDB' have been saved already. //

// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiImage.filename' and label 'Image' have been saved already. //

// Warning: line 1: filePathEditor: Attribute 'aiPhotometricLight.aiFilename' and label 'IES' have been saved already. //

import arnold

// Successfully imported python module 'arnold'

import mtoa

// Successfully imported python module 'mtoa'

import mtoa.cmds.registerArnoldRenderer;mtoa.cmds.registerArnoldRenderer.registerArnoldRenderer()

Maya 2018 importing module pymel 1.0.10 (/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pymel/__init__.py)

// Successfully registered renderer 'arnold'

updateRendererUI;

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/muAddShelfButton.mel line 117: Object '' not found. //

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/bifrost/maya2018/scripts/mw_loadui.mel line 28: setParent: Object '' not found. //

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/MASH/scripts/MASHCreateUI.mel line 95: setParent: Object '' not found. //

// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate". //

updateRendererUI;

// Error: line 1: shelfLayout: Object '' not found. //

# Error: Error occurred during execution of MEL script

# line 1: shelfLayout: Object '' not found.

# Traceback (most recent call last):

# File "/Applications/solidangle/mtoa/2018/scripts/mtoa/cmds/arnoldShelf.py", line 45, in createArnoldShelf

# maya.mel.eval('$arnoldShelf = `shelfLayout -cellWidth 32 -cellHeight 32 -p $gShelfTopLevel -version \"2017\" Arnold`;')

# RuntimeError: Error occurred during execution of MEL script

# line 1: shelfLayout: Object '' not found. #

tried uninstalling all plugins and everything. instructor was baffled as well. please help asap.

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sean.heasley
in reply to: calebdnagy

Hi @calebdnagy and welcome to the community!

You said it was a fresh install of Maya, so Maya has never been installed on this machine until now correct?

What are the hardware specs of the machine you are trying to open Maya on?

Steps to find your pc specs can be found here!

Also, what GPU are you using and are the drivers up to date?

Steps to update your drivers can be found here!

Please come back with as much information as possible and I'll be happy to help!

Message 3 of 12
calebdnagy
in reply to: sean.heasley

It's not that it was NEVER installed on my machine. I had it working just fine for a while now, but after installing render man and substance painter, it started giving me this error. My specs are fine for sure, and I tried uninstalling all plugins including Maya and made a "fresh" install. Even then, it still gives me this error.

Message 4 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @calebdnagy

While your specs may be fine, it would be handy to have them to make sure there's no potential issues that could be causing this.

That said, this occurred after installing render man and substance painter or after installing their plug ins for Maya?

Also, do you still have renderman and substance painter installed? If you uninstall them does Maya still give this issue?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 5 of 12
calebdnagy

Got a 2.8 GHz Intel core i7 processor. For graphics I got a radeon Pro 555 2 GB, intel hd graphics 630 1536 mb and my startup disk is Macintosh hd. My drivers are up to date as well. And no, Maya has been installed for several weeks now. I uninstalled both render man and substance painter and Maya still gives me that error. 

Message 6 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @calebdnagy

Hmm ok, Maya's pointing to a lot of different file paths and errors so its unusual that clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya didn't solve this issue.

When you go to launch Maya, does it crash with the option for a CER report? If so can you please fill it out and let me know what the CER number is?

If there is not an option like that, can you check to see if there is a crash log and if so can you please attach it here? This can be found in the TMP folder on your Mac.

Message 7 of 12
calebdnagy

Unfortunately it does not give a crash or error report. It just lists off the error and refuses to load. I took a snapshot of my TMP folder below. 

Message 8 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @calebdnagy

Hmm ok.

What version of Mac OS are you on? I understand Maya was working normally before but I'd like to make 100% sure this isn't a compatibility issue.

Also it's a bit of a stretch, but you could try dragging the Maya folder(not the 2018 folder or projects folder the whole Maya folder) that holds your projects on to the desktop and then launch Maya. This was an odd solution that worked for a customer a while back having similar issues on Mac.

Let me know how this goes for you or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 9 of 12
calebdnagy

holy crap that actually worked! thank you so much! (that solution literally made no sense but I'm gonna accept it haha)

Message 10 of 12
sean.heasley

Hi @calebdnagy

Awesome! Yeah I have to admit it was a solution I had only seen work once before a few years back so I'm surprised I even remembered it Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 12
vship7773

How can I fix the same error on Windows

Message 12 of 12

Thank you still works as a solution for 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report