Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Candidate guides have not been associated

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
lhmullan
26380 Views, 14 Replies

Candidate guides have not been associated

Hi,

I created an xgen description using the "generate primitives at specified points" and "control primitives by placing and shaping guides" options selected, with primitives at the guide locations (for eyelashes). I saved and closed but when I reopened the file the guides/primitives were gone and I received the error message: Candidate guides have not been associated.

I read somewhere that this might be because the history was cleared on the geometry which the description was attached to. Is there anyway to get retrieve the guides without having to place them all again?

A prior posting was made about this issue but no solution was prescribed.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-dynamics/xgen-error-quot-candidate-guides-have-not-been-associat...

Thanks,

Levi

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Michael_Todd
in reply to: lhmullan

You should have the points file for the guide locations on disc. If you Bring up the the points brush from the Specify Locations option you should see the points and if not, you should be able to load them.

SpeciyPoints.png

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 15
lhmullan
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Hi Michael,

I am unable to find the points file? I look for the .xuv file within my "Scalp" collection for which "WavyHair" is the description. All that I find there is two clump folders with points maps for clumping and a paint maps folder with many of the paint maps I have been using (noise, length, etc).

Where would I find the .xuv points file? I assume it is supposed to be here but it is not.

Levi

Message 4 of 15
Michael_Todd

Looks like the file wasn't saved for some reason. Assuming you had permission to save the file where it should be saved, I'm not sure why it's been lost. 

If you used the Guides as the clump point generator, you could use the clump points though.

Out of curiosity, which version of Maya are you using? There was an issue quite a while back where guides on a mesh could be lost if the mesh was skinned to joints, but this has been fixed since. From your grab it looks like you're using 2017 at the earliest, so it's probably not that.

Cheers

Michael Todd

Message 5 of 15
lhmullan

Hi Michael, 

Sorry to be a nuisance but I deleted my old collection and description, ensured the folders were no longer in xgen collections folder, and tried to create a new collection and description. I have a bunch of curves which I converted to guides for this new description called "WavyHair". Xgen automatically set up the folders using the correct path. I even created a clumping modifier and it created the clumping folder which contains the points and maps for that modifier. Shouldn't the parent folder, "WavyHair", which is the description folder, contain other files like the point file (.xuv), Xgen file (.xgen), and description (.xdsc). It appears I have permission to write files in this folder considering it writes the guide connectivity file (.xgc) as seen in the attached screen capture. It just fails to save the other critical files?

I would rather not continue to work like this where I have to redo the entire description should the "candidate guides have not been associated" error occur again.

Levi

Message 6 of 15
Michael_Todd

There will only be a points file if you actually create them. You set At Specific Locations as the generator method then use the point brush to place the hairs. For a head of hair like the one in your grab, Random across surface would be preferable. The clump modifier generates it's own points file (xuv) either from the guide locations, specified points (or both) and randomly generated based on the input settings.

The Description folder contains all the files that the description needs that are generated in the grooming process. An xdsc file is only created when you export a description. The XGen file,  which contains all the descriptions in a collection, is saved with the Maya file it is associated with in the scenes folder. The collection file can be exported to a given location as a separate XGen file that can be imported back into Maya if needed.

XGen Files and Folders

the Guide issuse you ran into shouldn't happen again so long as the points file is on disc, if you used the specific point location generator. Another option for such a specific placement would be to use guides and set the generator to "At Guide Locations" 

Cheers

Michael Todd

Message 7 of 15
ballobello

this problem still persist in Maya 2018. I found a "way" to fix it quickly, converting the guides to curves and then create guides again, but now my guides just disappear and it looks all my work went to waste

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: ballobello

What was that solution if i may ask? I am having a similar issue with my xgen as well

Message 9 of 15
dangertaz1
in reply to: Anonymous

Same problem here.  My xgen hair will stop loading after working in a file for a couple days.  The guide hairs are still there.  I see a .XGC file where it should be.  Is there a way to manually reconnect/reload the file?
Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 15
dangertaz1
in reply to: dangertaz1

I found this thread that talks about this issue and how to avoid it:  It seems you can't delete history.  A work around is mentioned in the other thread.

Message 11 of 15
Connor_Dang

I'm got this issue where can i open up the Point Brush?

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
mrcarlarts

Hi Michael, what does xgen have so many bugs and crashes?? 

Message 13 of 15
x520guoxj3

How can I find the tool ' specify points tool'? I looked for a long time but couldn't find it😭

Message 14 of 15
brentmc
in reply to: x520guoxj3

Is this what you are looking for?
https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-D38ED627-6B03-4C22-ABE4-AA4D1FD22EAC

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 15 of 15
x520guoxj3
in reply to: brentmc

I have connectivity.xgc file and use specify points tool to specify locations but still "candidate guides have not been associated". How can I fix them?

1172e55236a996932818e53d3ebcf93.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report