Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use ACES OCIO config due to locale settings

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
roelQDG5J
1158 Views, 2 Replies

Can't use ACES OCIO config due to locale settings

In the Maya Color Management settings I was unable to use the ACES 1.0.3 OCIO config and ticking the 'Use OCIO Configuration' checkbox. It would throw an error and uncheck itself. The error states it cannot find 'Log2_48_nits_Shaper_to_linear.spi1d' even though the exact path in the error message is correct.

By a search on the internet I found that someone else also had trouble using the OCIO config (although in a different environment). This was due to the locale settings which `LC_NUMERIC` uses. Not sure what `LC_NUMERIC` is but when I changed my locale settings from a comma (,) to a period (.) for the decimal separator in Windows (and a restart) I could use the OCIO config in Maya.

Also related to locale settings (but not color management), although in the rest of the UI typing a period is automatically converted to a comma (when this is the decimal separator) this does not happen in the color picker. Here I have to explictly use the comma key. It won't autoconvert.

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
in reply to: roelQDG5J

Hi,

The locale is a challenging aspect. In order to help the investigations,  could you tell us which Maya version you are using? and what is the language/country configuration of your Windows?

When you enable the OCIO config file (i.e. 'Use OCIO Configuration' to on), could you copy & paste all the errors/warnings from the console?

Some local issues are already internally under investigation, thanks to report this case.

Note:

This was due to the locale settings which `LC_NUMERIC` uses. Not sure what `LC_NUMERIC` is but when I changed my locale settings from a comma (,) to a period (.) for the decimal separator in Windows (and a restart) I could use the OCIO config in Maya.

That means that your language/country setting defines a numeric representation (for a float number it's 2,34) different from the English one (which requests a float number like 2.34). The English numeric representation is the expected numeric representation for Maya. And the LC_NUMERIC is a convenient way to change/override your 'default' numeric representation (which is defined by your language/country).

Patrick

Message 3 of 3
roelQDG5J
in reply to: 118143

Hi Patrick,

Turns out I might have been completely wrong with my assessment. I changed my locale settings back (decimal symbol ',' and digit grouping symbol '.') and I can load the OCIO config with no problem.

For what it's worth, some extra info from when I did have the error:
- Maya version 2020.3

- New scene

- Error was triggered in colorManagementUtilities.mel (don't remember line no.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report