Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get XGen to motion blur

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
V4nDl0
2377 Views, 3 Replies

Can't get XGen to motion blur

I've made some Xgen hair and used an animwires modifier to make it dynamic

I cached out the "hairSystem1OutputCurves" as an alembic file, turned off "live mode" in the animwires modifier and set the file path to the .abc cache. The hair moves fine in the viewport, and I can delete the Output Curves and it still moves, so the alembic seems to be working, but I keep getting this error:

# Warning: [xgen] Batch mode tests failed! proceeding with Xgeneration... using live scene data #
# Warning: [xgen] Batch mode tests failed! proceeding with Xgeneration... using live scene data #
# Warning: FILMdescShape: could not read ARRAY parameter "time_samples" #
# Warning: descriptionShape: could not read ARRAY parameter "time_samples" #
# Error: [xgen] Can't motion blur, alembic file 'H:/FILM/scenes/004_EXPERIMENTS/TRY002b__FILMhair.abc' has not been exported #
# Error: [xgen] Can't motion blur, alembic file 'H:/FILM/scenes/004_EXPERIMENTS/TRY002b__FILMhair.abc' has not been exported #

any ideas what is going wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sean.heasley
in reply to: V4nDl0

Hi @V4nDl0 

The first few warnings are usually related to the render failing. There was a similar issue in this thread.

From that thread:

Hey, so we resolved the issue. Thanks so much for the speedy responses, I have been busy so I wanted to make sure I responded back to this. It was a combination of things and I will run down what we were doing wrong and what the solution was.

-First off in Submit Job to Deadline window. We were confused by the the "Submit Mays Scene File" checkbox. Initally we were under the influence that we needed to have this checked when submitting xgen files. But in order for Deadline and Xgen to find paths (we were bringing in archives from our archives library) outside the project folder we needed this unchecked.

submit_job.JPGLeave this Unchecked

-When we were initially Exporting patches for batch render we were selecting the X-gen collection and not the geo xgen was instancing on. So once we selected the geo and then exported for batch render we noticed our scene files were larger as if xgen was being cached.

-Finally we needed to switch from "Live" to "Batch Render" in the Preview/Output window for the Renders to take materials that were altered in our scene and not the materials from the archive.

Overall much of this was just confusion in interpreting the documentation. I haven't had time to verify everything, but I am having success rendering for now. Thanks again for the assistance.

Also, if you render a still image instead of a sequence does it render successfully?

Message 3 of 4
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @V4nDl0 

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 4
lovemisee
in reply to: V4nDl0

I have same question“could not read ARRAY parameter "time_samples"”

This leads to no reflective effect when I use Arnold material.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums