Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Projection Image Plane - Keep Reflections from Image Sequence

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cpotamitis
105 Views, 4 Replies

Camera Projection Image Plane - Keep Reflections from Image Sequence

Can someone help with the following issue please? I really need to find a solution for this. I have a 3d tracked camera in my scene, the camera is projecting the image plane as a background. I place my object in the scene (phone) and I get really nice reflections from that image plane sequence, however, the moment its time to render and I switch the display mode of the image plane attributes from RGBA to NONE the reflection are gone. I need to find a way to make the background not visible during the render but keep the reflections from it on the object. There must be a way but I tried everything I could with no positive result. I just want to keep those exact reflections on the object. (Images for comparison attached). If someone could help me sort this one out I would be really grateful. Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hollywattvfx
in reply to: cpotamitis

You can set the visibility of most things to turn Camera to 0 and keep it visible in reflections. I’m not 100% if this is true for a camera’s image plane, I need to get on Maya which I can in the next hour so I’ll confirm and if not then I’ll figure out an alternative method. 

Message 3 of 5
cpotamitis
in reply to: hollywattvfx

Hi and thank you for trying to provide a solution. I have a phone leaning on a plane which has a matte shadow texture on it in order to catch the shadows, as if it is leaning onto a building. I figured that the moment I hide that plane, the reflections are also gone. However the first scenario still plays, the moment you switch visibility of image plane from RGBA to NONE the reflection disappears. Also as regards switching camera visibility off doesn't seem to make any difference like it would on objects for example (Image attached). Thank You.

Message 4 of 5
hollywattvfx
in reply to: cpotamitis

So I have a workaround as I can't get the image plane itself to work.
Steps:

- Create a plane and position it in the exact same place as your image plane and scale to the correct size.

- On the new plane add a Surface Shader and plug your animated image sequence into the Out Colour.

- On the plane Shape node under Arnold uncheck Primary Visibility.

- Turn off the image plane.

- Now you have to link your new plane to the camera so it moves with it; you can do this in a couple of ways; either take the plane and MMB drag it onto the camera in the Outliner. Or you could use a parent constraint.

Now you should have a plane which isn't visible in the render but just in the reflections that follows the camera and animates. Let me know how it goes.

Message 5 of 5
cpotamitis
in reply to: hollywattvfx

Hello and sorry for late reply been testing things out. One thing that I found out was:

1) If the wall plane (matte shadow) which is set to catch the shadows from the object leaning on a building (the building, is just part of the image sequence, not an object), is absent, (hidden) then the reflection disappears even if you have the display mode of the camera image projection to RGBA instead of NONE. Therefore a plane is needed. The reflection is only present when there is a plane. But both plane + RGBA display mode need to be visible in order for this to work, but when it comes to rendering which the image sequence needs to be switched off, then the reflections are gone.  I tried the method you suggested but it didn't work. What worked was that I made another plane with that texture, positioned it accordingly, and primary visibility off, and I did manage to catch the reflection (but its a fake reflection). 2) The plane which has the matte shadow to catch the objects shadow on the building is not behaving properly meaning, instead of just catching the shadow it also catches shadows on the whole plane making the scene darker and you can see the edges of the plane. Same issue occurs when AO is rendered and multiplied on top the whole square is visible. (Image attached). For example the floor plane (matte shadow) catches the shadows fine when layed flat down, however the plane which is to catch the shadow on the building (which is standing upwards, that plane gives shadows to the whole plane and the square of the plane is visible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report