Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black portions of viewport

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
shullum
3541 Views, 14 Replies

black portions of viewport

A very small portion of the viewport screens are visible in Maya. I've attached images. Help!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: shullum

Hi @shullum and welcome to the community!

This is most likely a GPU issue. What GPU are you using and is the driver version the same as our certified hardware list?

You can find our certified hardware list here!

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 15
shullum
in reply to: sean.heasley

The network administrator installed a driver update for the video card that is an approved card. This did not help the situation at all.

Message 4 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @shullum

While the card may be approved, the GPU driver version also needs to be on the approved list.

What GPU are you using? If you look at the list, you can see the certified driver version next to it and if that version is installed then this issue should go away.

Message 5 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @shullum

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 6 of 15
shullum

I am still having the same issues. I've had the graphics card driver updated, restarted the machine, uninstalled & reinstalled Maya, changed one of the rendering options . . .
If I click on the black area of the viewport, this area is "rendered," you can see the remainder of the viewport. But, as soon as I do anything - create an object or select a tool, this portion returns to black and only the bottom right of the viewport is visible.
Message 7 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @shullum

You don't want the GPU driver to be updated to the most recent version.

The GPU driver needs to be the exact same as the one on this list!

If your GPU is on that list and the drivers are on that version, please let me know and we can continue to troubleshoot from there.

Message 8 of 15
shullum

Good Morning,

I checked with the network administrator about the driver. He sent me a screen shot.

Here are some screen clips showing what he did.

[cid:image001.png@01D456F7.37F10440]

This is the exact driver that I installed:
[cid:image002.png@01D45702.A974EB30]

I am so thankful for your email and help. Please let me know what to do next.

Message 9 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @shullum

There weren't any images in your last post.

Can you please come back to this forum and manually post/attach the images so I can take a look at them.

Message 10 of 15
shullum

The graphics driver is good according to the Network Administrator. I've included a Word doc with images. 

Message 11 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @shullum

Ok great! Thanks for confirming that!

Now we can try some steps.

First off you'll want to try changing your rendering engine.

Steps to do so are:

1. Select Windows
  2. Select Settings/Preferences
  3. Select Preferences
  4. Select the Display Tab
  5. Here you can change your rendering engine to Open GL or Direct X etc.

If that doesn't work, can you please try deleting your settings/preferences and let me know if anything changes!

Message 12 of 15
shullum

Your suggestion worked. The setting was on OpenGL - Core Profile (Compatibility.) Someone had suggested OpenGL-Legacy and that didn't work so i gave up on preferences. Please explain how the problem occurred when the OpenGL had been working. 

Sandi

Message 13 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @shullum

There was most likely an update to Maya or your system that had it start to clash with your GPU therefore changing the engine resolved the issue.

If this type of issue happens in the future the first thing you'll always want to check is the GPU driver like we did above but if that doesn't work then the rendering engine is the next best step to resolve these types of issues.

Message 14 of 15

I’m having the exact same issue. Running Autodesk maya 2017 update 3; GeForce GTX 670 with driver 372.70. I’ve tried everything in this thread but I can’t seem to get the camera to size to the viewport? So frustrated. 

Message 15 of 15
adrianbarta

I'm having the same issue after changing DPI scaling in Windows 10.

Everything worked just fine 2 days ago and now I have this issue PLUS:

- resolution of the viewport is much lower than before

- all the interface icons are lower res too

- the right-click menu seems to be glitched (screenshot attached)

I have all the latest drivers and like I'm saying, everything worked fine before I changed the DPI scaling in Windows (I changed it because text was too small on my 4k display).

I have deleted preferences but it didn't help. I have already had this issue once and solved it by reinstalling Maya but I would like to solve it without reinstalling.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report