Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Hardware For Maya 7 Linux/Mac/Windows

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
clinesr
951 Views, 4 Replies

Best Hardware For Maya 7 Linux/Mac/Windows

Hello. I have an old copy of Maya 7 Unlimited with the Dongle and I have the itch to install it on a new-ish computer. I've looked over the hardware and software qualifications for it and all of them are very old. So, I was wondering if anyone had an idea on what newer hardware/software of the last 7 years or so might be compatible?

The last thing I ran Maya 7 on was a really old Windows XP Dell Precision. I'd love to run it on something a bit more modern that still allows for internet access and newer versions of other creative software. I figure windows 7 is out of the question but Linux may be an option. I'd also like something small and compact. I could use software like Synergy or something to share my main keyboard and mouse with from my Windows 7 workstation. Even something older might be fine if I can run linux but I have no idea if newer versions of linux can run this older version of Maya.

A turn in the right direction would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sean.heasley
in reply to: clinesr

Hi @clinesr and welcome to the community!

This is an interesting question since I personally never worked with Maya 7 and it has evolved so much since then.

While I can't recommend any specific hardware, we do have our system requirements that go back all the way to 2008 you can find here!

I'm curious to see how Maya 7 will run on more recent hardware so please feel free to update here if/when you get a machine set up.

Please let me know if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 5
clinesr

Thanks for the response. I found an old hp xw4600 with a core 2 quad 9300 for about $70. The earlier xw workstations were on the list of certified hardware, and I've read of some people using the c2quads. It should run xp, 7, linux, and Vista. Comes with an older nvidia quatro so I think everything should work with the right drivers. My guess is xp or Vista will be my best bet.

Then I'll try to get something like synergy working so I can just use one kb and mouse for it and my other setup.

I'll post back in a few days/weeks
Message 4 of 5
clinesr

I was able to get it running on a $70 HP xw4600 workstation.

XP Pro x64 all updates
Core 2 Quad 9300
Quadro 2000 using the latest Nvidia download for the system.

Based on this, I wouldn't be surprised if it runs on much more recent systems. I would be skeptical that it could run properly on win7 in xp mode, but perhaps with xp compatibility or a copy of Vista.

i7 and a newer quadro shouldn't be an issue of drivers arent an issue.

Would love to find the Maya 7.0.1 update.

Message 5 of 5
RPYTHON

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report