Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on improving performance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
t_smith5
119 Views, 3 Replies

Advice on improving performance

Hi

Could someone share some advice on how to improve Maya's performance, particularly for laptops? I'm currently using an MSI GP62MVR 7RFX Leopard Pro, which has a GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, Windows 10, an i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz, and running off an SSD. I'm finding, as I keep using Maya, my laptop gets hotter, which is notorious of MSI laptops. But I find it gets slower and jerkier as I use it. I've tried lowering the texture quality via the Viewport 2.0 settings, but it doesn't appear to have helped.

I was just wondering if there are any recommended settings that should be adjusted? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

How does your typical scene look like? What is all on the screen?

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 4

Well, at the moment, I'm working on a hairstyle for a character. I've got all the hair baked from XGen and set up as hair cards. I do have multiple clumps set up around the scene, but they're not overly high. I think the highest are probably around 400 tris. I'm building up the layers so I have a blockout, medium clumps, thin clumps and then fly-aways. Each layer will be around 10,000 tris...? I only have the blockout done so far and I'm halfway through the medium layer. With everything selected (not including the low poly head mesh), everything comes to over 40,000 tris.

These shots are taken from my PC:

maya_9SF9019jxm.pngmaya_klee7XgVjU.pngmaya_YRy8ixannT.png

Message 4 of 4
t_smith5
in reply to: t_smith5

I should also point out that I've tried Optimise Scene Size, with all options selected, and I've put the texturing resolution between 512-1024. I do sometimes have PureRef loaded up, which can use over 2GB! And sometimes Firefox, where I have a few tabs open, and that takes over 2GB, too. I upgraded the RAM not too long ago, but it still gets gobbled up pretty quickly. But even without those running, when I first load my scene, it can still feel a bit slow and clunky at orbitting the scene.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report