Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018.3 XGen errors in command line on Maya startup

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
rimcrazy
4520 Views, 16 Replies

2018.3 XGen errors in command line on Maya startup

I'm getting numerous errors on boot of Maya 2018.3 (previous versions too ).  Let's just jump to the errors:

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/xgmToolRegistration.mel line 58: Cannot find procedure "xgmToolManagerRegisterTool". // 
// Warning: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/igInitialize.mel line 78: Couldn't source xgmToolRegistration.mel // 

At the moment and up until now I've not used XGen much so it's not affected me.  I want to start doing some things with it and suspect these errors will cause some problems.  On the Plug-In manager everything related to xgen plug-ins are loaded and auto loaded so I don't believe that is the issue. 

A few things about my installation:

1) I have VRay installed but it is not enabled/loaded by default

2) I have Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 installed on my machine (but this should not be an issue I don't believe)

3) I'm getting this on my MBP which is running High Sierra but I do not get these two lines on my Windows install.  I just did a clean install of the new update Maya 2018.3 so I do not believe it is related to that.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Tags (3)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
sean.heasley
in reply to: rimcrazy

Hi @rimcrazy

This may just be an odd issue with how the plug in loaded.

I'd recommend unloading and reloading Xgen then restart Maya to see if the errors still appear.

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 17
rimcrazy
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi Sean,

I tried that.  If I unload it the error goes away but... as soon as I load it, it comes back.

I unloaded it.  Restarted Maya and then loaded it and it gives me this error:

// Error: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/xgmToolRegistration.mel line 58: Cannot find procedure "xgmToolManagerRegisterTool". // 
// Warning: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts/igInitialize.mel line 78: Couldn't source xgmToolRegistration.mel // 
// Warning: line 1: waitCursor stack empty // 

If I restart Maya I get basically the same thing.  I did a screenshot to verify that the mel scripts are in fact in the proper directory ( I had no reason to think otherwise but I wanted to check.) . Here is a screenshot with the directory on the top left, the mel script in question open in Sublime and the console screen below.

errorscreenshot.png

I'm at a loss.  I thought possibly there might be an issue with environment variables.  Here is a list of what is on my Mac:

jupiter:~ phoppes$ printenv
TERM_PROGRAM=iTerm.app
TERM=xterm-256color
VRAY_OSL_PATH_MAYA2018_x64=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Maya2018/opensl
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/x_/wm0yr6wd22g9645b0gdpcvc80000gn/T/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.Npw90a4lgo/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=3.1.6
TERM_SESSION_ID=w0t0p0:CD1715ED-3E1E-4C11-84DC-B3AFE417AB2B
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_MAIN_x64=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/vray
VRAY_OSL_PATH_MODO_x64=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Modo_x64/opensl
USER=phoppes
VRAY_MODO_INSTALL_PATH=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/MODO_x64
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.rcHZmK4RJm/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x0:0:0
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_MAIN_PowerPC=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/vray
VRAY_TOOLS_MAYA2018_x64=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Maya2018/bin
PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Public:/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands:/Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2017_MAIN_x64=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2017/vray
PWD=/Users/phoppes
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_PLUGINS_PowerPC=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/vray/vrayplugins
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
ITERM_PROFILE=Phil
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2017_PLUGINS_PowerPC=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2017/vray/vrayplugins
XPC_FLAGS=0x0
XPC_SERVICE_NAME=0
VRAY_PATH=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/vray/bin:/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/vray/bin
SHLVL=1
COLORFGBG=15;0
HOME=/Users/phoppes
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2018_PLUGINS_x64=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/vray/vrayplugins
ITERM_SESSION_ID=w0t0p0:CD1715ED-3E1E-4C11-84DC-B3AFE417AB2B
LOGNAME=phoppes
VRAY_TOOLS_MAYA2017_x64=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Maya2017/bin
VRAY_Modo_INSTALL_PATH=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Modo_x64
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2017_MAIN_PowerPC=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2017/vray
VRAY_OSL_PATH_MAYA2017_x64=/Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/Maya2017/opensl
VRAY_FOR_MAYA2017_PLUGINS_x64=/Applications/Autodesk/maya2017/vray/vrayplugins
CUDA_CACHE_MAXSIZE=268435456
COLORTERM=truecolor
_=/usr/bin/printenv

A bunch of things for VRay but nothing jumps out at me. 

Do you have any other ideas I should try?

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 4 of 17
sean.heasley

Hi @rimcrazy

Hmmm ok.

You could try uninstalling Vray as a simple test. However if that doesn't work you may want to perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya.

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 5 of 17
sean.heasley

Hi @rimcrazy

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 6 of 17
rimcrazy

Well I essentially did that with my install of 2018.3 but I will try later.  It's a PITA with custom setups/plugins, etc. so doing a clean uninstall/install is not just a walk in the park.  I take that as a last resort.  IMHO Maya is behaving like there is either a search path issue or a file/folder permissions issue which "should" be easily correctable but the $50k question is where is the issue.  I was hoping that there may be a more descriptive error log outside of the Maya command interface that might tell me.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 7 of 17
sean.heasley

Hi @rimcrazy

It is possible its a file path issue but like you said it can be tough to figure out what/where its going wrong.

Out of curiosity, are those errors on start up causing an issue with Xgen/Maya or do they just appear but don't seem to have any ramifications?

Message 8 of 17
sean.heasley

Hi @rimcrazy

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Any changes on this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 9 of 17
rimcrazy

I just deleted the following:

/Applications/Autodesk

/SystemHD/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Autodesk

/SystemHD/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Preferences/Autodesk

/SystemHD/Library/Application Support/Autodesk

There are no plugins installed.  Vray is removed.  I start Maya 2018.3 and I get the following in command window:

file -f -new;
// untitled // 
commandPort -securityWarning -name commandportDefault;
onSetCurrentLayout "Maya Classic";
// AbcExport v1.0 using Alembic 1.7.5 (built Feb  7 2018 13:51:52)
// AbcImport v1.0 using Alembic 1.7.5 (built Feb  7 2018 13:51:52)
evalDeferred "shaderBallRendererMenuUpdate";
import arnold
// Successfully imported python module 'arnold'
import mtoa
// Successfully imported python module 'mtoa'
import mtoa.cmds.registerArnoldRenderer;mtoa.cmds.registerArnoldRenderer.registerArnoldRenderer()
// Successfully registered renderer 'arnold'
// Warning: file: /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: Loading plug-in "mtoa" has resulted in changes to the scene that may need to be saved. // 
updateRendererUI;
updateRendererUI;

While it is not evident that this error is breaking anything I'm not experienced enough with XGen to say this is or is not an issue.  I opened a simple project from Pluralsight and at the moment nothing seems broken but I'd say that is rather inconclusive.

For the moment I don't see that what you've offered is a solution to my post so I'm not going to say this is solved.  It's not a burning issue for me at the immediate moment but to just click on something to say it's solved when in fact it is not is not correct.  For certain I can say without a doubt that a clean install does NOT fix the error.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 10 of 17
sean.heasley

Hi @rimcrazy

Hmmm ok. Well I'm glad it's not causing any major issues at least at the moment.

That said, it's a bit of a stretch, but you could try dragging the Maya folder(not the 2018 folder or projects folder the whole Maya folder) that holds your projects on to the desktop and then launch Maya. This was an odd solution that worked for a customer a while back. They were on a Mac so it's possible this may not work for Windows but it's worth a shot!

Message 11 of 17
rimcrazy

Sean, I appreciate your due diligence on this issue like I said at the moment it's not breaking anything to my knowledge however I only think that's because I've not done something in the affected area.  

I always create Maya projects with my work but I never use the default location.  I work on multiple projects at a time and each project is kept in a specific customer folder so the absolute project directory path is different for every project.  Moving one to the desktop does not solve anything. (tried).  This, in theory, should never be a problem because that is what the workspace.mel file is for, to help Maya from getting confused and work with relative path's not absolute paths.  I'm wondering however, if this may if fact have something to do with High Sierra itself.  I know, to the "letter of the law" that 2018 is not officially blessed on High Sierra, just Sierra.  High Sierra forces the use of APFS so perhaps it has something to do with that buried deep down in the Maya code.  I'm just speculating here but that could possibly be the issue.  I get other warnings too were it complains that it cannot find things but I tend to not put too much stock in warnings as they usually don't cause problems.  Errors, I do pay attention too as my experience has told me they can be problematic.  

Thanks again. I marked this thread as Not requiring a solution which is better than marking a "solution" which is in fact not a solution.  Later on this summer I plan to do more work with XGen so I'll address this again later.  My guess is between then and now I may very well do a "clean" reinstall of my os and things (I tend to do that about once a year) so I'll see if that fixes the issue.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I believe I can shed some light on the X-gen error you're getting...

Basically, the script file, "xgmToolRegistration.mel" inside the path:

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts

is calling the procedure "xgmToolManagerRegisterTool()", however that same procedure is not defined within the context of the file. It is, however defined inside the script "xgmToolManager.mel" within the same scripts directory.

I don't know whether this was an oversight in the code or whether sourcing that procedure is dealt with in another script, but to be safe, if you add the line:

source "xgmToolManager.mel";

to the top of the file, "xgmToolRegistration.mel", the procedure definition will be available to the script in question.

Sourcing the code can't hurt and you will find that the error message goes away. Yay!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
rimcrazy
in reply to: Anonymous

Bingo!  I think that is it.  Thanks much!

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

hi I was wondering if the solution to the problem was found because I have been having the same issue with xgen. If it has been found is there a way you could add some screenshots to make it easier for a dummy like me thanks. 

that is the error I am getting on my computer. thanks

Message 15 of 17
rimcrazy

There is a solution posted on this thread.  Try it out and see if that does not fix your problem.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Hi, 

I am new to Maya and I am trying to fix the same issue described in this thread. I am not familiar with mel could someone explain how to fix the code in a way that a complete beginner like me can understand? Maybe with pictures? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Tags (3)
Message 17 of 17
kat.diseno

I am not that good with this, where do i put 

?

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe I can shed some light on the X-gen error you're getting...

Basically, the script file, "xgmToolRegistration.mel" inside the path:

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/plug-ins/xgen/scripts

is calling the procedure "xgmToolManagerRegisterTool()", however that same procedure is not defined within the context of the file. It is, however defined inside the script "xgmToolManager.mel" within the same scripts directory.

I don't know whether this was an oversight in the code or whether sourcing that procedure is dealt with in another script, but to be safe, if you add the line:

to the top of the file, "xgmToolRegistration.mel", the procedure definition will be available to the script in question.

Sourcing the code can't hurt and you will find that the error message goes away. Yay!  Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report