Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGEN not following properly guides

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tyros_uk
9854 Views, 6 Replies

XGEN not following properly guides

Hi,

I was wondering why some hair follow nicely the guides and some not follow properly. 
Some get far far from the guides like the image I attached.

Anyone does have a reason for this behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jewboy0117
in reply to: tyros_uk

it looks like you need more guides to drive the hair. You can also tweak a clump modifier ---> copy effect. This will allow the hair to follow the guides more accurately.

Message 3 of 7
tyros_uk
in reply to: jewboy0117

checking here! 

thanks 🙂

Message 4 of 7

Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
miki_delap

I know this thread has already been solved, but here's some extra things that might help someone with a similar problem. 

Reasons hair may not follow guides:

1. You don't have a high enough CV count

2. You have guides going in too many different directions (especially if you have a complicated hair do-- for example, bangs pointing down, top of head hair pointing backward, messy bun guides going in 7 directions, etc.). The reason for this is that the hairs are trying to interpolate between those directions and might guess incorrectly. The way around this is to make separate descriptions for each set of hair going similar directions.

3. You have stray guides going weird directions that you can't see, possibly hidden inside the mesh. Delete/cull those. 

4. Try using a clump modifier (Xgen window > Modifier tab > add modifier of type "Clumping"). That often helps curves adhere to the guides better. 

Message 6 of 7

Hey, i have a problem my hairs are penetrating through mesh

Please do you have any clue why this is happening

Message 7 of 7
rogodoy

The problem lies in guides rotations. When you do the guides commonly you rotate the guides in x,y,z.  The solution is lock the guides  x,y,z rotation in Channel Box.  

1- Do your guides first.

2- Select xgGuide in description in Outilne tab.

3- Go to Channel box and lock rotate X,Y,Z.

Second solution if that not to work out.

Before do the guides transformations, after created the guides go to channel box and lock rotateX,Y,Z and do the Move Guides in xgGuide.

To get the hair following guides: in preview/output, diminish percentage to get few hair folicules, this help you to correct the guides. Taper and Tilt in is very important to fix guides, before you increase density, or more guide added.

This worked for me. I was doing pony tail, and this worked very well

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report