Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGen Hair showing in the render but not showing in the viewport

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
artofillusionist
11784 Views, 10 Replies

XGen Hair showing in the render but not showing in the viewport

Hi,

I followed this tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaTf0GBkEAY

Now I opened again my file and I cannot see XGen hair in Maya viewport when I want preview the description (also I show all object in display), but when I hit the render button I can see the hair. What is my mistake? How can I edit again my hair? 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I'm not sure the shader you are using is supported in the VP directly. One workaround is to assign another shader to the description then hook up the shader you want in the renders to the surface shader slot in the shading group node, then you will see get a VP shader and a render shader.

You could also hook up some of the basic parameters of the render shader to the inputs of the VP shader, such as color so that they don't look too dissimilar.

VP_Render_shaders.png

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 11

Seems for me this is not shader problem. I made a new scene or I loaded an earlier scene. Seems if I import some other things models, layers etc... (not obj, if obj problem not appear) to my scene this caused the bug. After Xgen randomly appear when I show a mesh layer or something, but usually not disappeard. So I loaded an earlier scene and I keep it clean.

Message 4 of 11

Sounds like the description is added to a display layer

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 5 of 11

No. I have a scene in there absolutely not showing the XGen (only in rendering) not depend from layers.

After I build up a new one scene (import descriptions, guides... (also to rid off any mental ray connection)), so everything worked fine. Then I imported only some mesh from other Maya scene, then Xgen showing bug appeared. Sometimes when I "show all object" in scene I could see Xgen, but if I hide some model or curves in scene Xgen again disappear, and not showing anymore, sometimes I click the imported mesh layers and can I see again the Xgen randomly so very weird. But when I imported these models as obj, then everything works fine, seems my other Maya files has something bug that break my XGen.

Message 6 of 11
security2oo9
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Pls someone Help every time i try to generate hair it showin up just few of them and like this or maybe nothing what is the problem that im doing i dont know?

Message 7 of 11
nbev777
in reply to: Michael_Todd

After changing the shader (from redshift to standart), as advised by @Michael_Todd, Maya displayed  hair in a viewport. 

Thanks for help.

Message 8 of 11

I had to make sure "use default material" was checked off. It's located near the panels drop menu.

Message 9 of 11
birkE9MED
in reply to: himinglaeva47

that was the problem for me (in maya 2023)

Message 10 of 11

This is Maya in a nutshell since 2004, all the bells and whistles and none of the bug fixes. I still have issues with the most basic tools like skin weight painting and it's almost 20 years now! I'm sick of paying $2k a year for this. Blender has none of these issues, flip!

I also have this exact same issue with Xgen previews. 

Message 11 of 11

Open previouse scene where hair was showed , than open your last scene where its gone and it will be shows 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report