Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGen Groomable Splines error HELP PLEASE!!!

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1326 Views, 2 Replies

XGen Groomable Splines error HELP PLEASE!!!

Hello everyone.

I'm using Maya 2018 Student Version.

I'm very new to hair dynamics. I started exploring the XGen to create fur for my character. I tried using Groomable Splines and wanted to export the grooming (I mean the yellow lines on the pink grid) to import it to another .ma file later. But I messed something up with the saving/exporting directories at the section on the screenshot attached. As I remember, I browsed for a new path for Export parameter but there's a slight chance I accidently did it for XUV. The path contained non-latin letters.

After that I got this line:

# Error: line 1: UnicodeEncodeError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\plug-ins\xgen\scripts\xgenm\xmaya\xgmExternalAPI.py line 1390: ascii

This shows up at almost every move I do on the fur.

Since then, when I edit the file where it all happened or create a new file and try grooming with the Groomable Splines, the error still shows up. Plus I can't see the Settings and Log sections in Grooming tab any more (although the brushes such as Part, Smooth, Orient etc are still there). I can't edit the density or average length of the yellow-pink lines but still can groom them with brushes. But primitives don't follow them at all.

After a while I realised the issue might be in the path with non-latin letters and changed the name of the folder to English but this didn't help either.

Sorry for the poor explanation, I really am extremely new to this and don't know proper appellations of all the stuff yet.

So my question is what have I done to my programm? Does anybody know a solution for this error? That would be a pity to brake down my XGen before even getting to know how to properly use it, LOL

Any suggestions ASAP please!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
cavescholar
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, 

So I know Xgen can be fun to learn and also complicated sometimes. I might suggest that you set a project and use the default folder for the Xgen saves. The error could be the plugin not loading correctly, you can try unchecking the xgen plugin, restart Maya, then re-enable the plugin. Maybe that will help. For Xgen saves and load locations and other information I've included a link to the article. 

Here is an article from Autodesk Knowledge Network on Where does xgen load and save files? The following is a clip from that article.

"As an alternative to a Project Folder, an absolute path can be assigned to a given location. You can add multiple paths if need be:

Autodesk Knowledge Network Xgen File PathAutodesk Knowledge Network Xgen File Path"

There are a few more tips on that page hopefully that helps. 

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: cavescholar

Thank you for a quick answer!

I've reset my maya prefs a few days ago and it resolved the problem. But the article you attached helped me understand better the overall structure of collection and descriptions paths, I apreciate your time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report