Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature-Density

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jamesearnest244
390 Views, 1 Reply

Temperature-Density

Hi,

I know this is really a "Let-me-Google-that-for-you" kind of question, but I've been through a lot of googling and haven't been able to find an explanation that made sense to me.

What is the role of temperature in a fluid container?

I can understand that having two elements in the container (density, temperature) that can be shaded separately is good for creating fluids like fire, which includes both smoke and flames, which have different shading attributes. In an effect like this, from what I understand (and I'm not sure I do), the density is the smoke and the temperature is the flames. As such, the Color section in the Shading rollout would define the color of the smoke (i.e. the density), and the Incandescence section would define the color of the flames (i.e. the temperature). The two would need simulation parameters that define the behaviour of smoke and flames, respectively.

But there is some kind of interplay between temperature and density at the simulation level, that I just don't understand. Emission of temperature into the container seems to somehow affect the movement of density, even without any temperature turbulence, buoyancy or anything like that. Just the presence of temperature on its own.

If someone could explain what the nature of this interaction is, and why it's better achieved like this than by simply setting the density's attributes to create the desired behaviour, it would be a big help.

Thanks so much!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
MayaGuru
in reply to: jamesearnest244

Hello James,

I understand your question, why temperature is given separately if one can drive fluids only with the Density?

If this is the question then, Temperature has its own benefits one can combine the temperature and fuel together to produce more heat.The more the heat we have the hotter is the reaction which results in quick rising of fluids.

Fuel is combined with density and once allowed to have a proper temperature or heat beyond ignition or threshold value it can help you in setting parameters of thermodynamics.

What if you wanted to show the effect in which fuel mixes with smoke and air then burns.Like flamethrower.

Temperature Turbulence is responsible for the changes in the velocity of fluids due to violent or inconsistent temperature and thus affect the fluids,so instead of smooth motion fluids become more turbulent or noisy.

Also use less value of Density Buoyancy and higher buoyancy of temperature you will certainly see the billowing and rolling effect.

if this solves your problem its fine,or else get back to me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report