Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating locked to X axis and pivot doesn't work.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
braulio.de.santiago.s.e
6326 Views, 13 Replies

Rotating locked to X axis and pivot doesn't work.

Hello. I'm posting this because I would like to request help with the rotate tool.

The thing is, I can't seem to rotate anything in any of the axis but the X one. If I turn on te move tool, the arrow I place my mouse over changes to a ligth color, indicating it is active, and it's the same for the scale tool (that's good), but whenever I enter the rotate tool it automatically turns on the X axis, even if y mouse is not over it, and no matter how hard I try to select other axis, it just sticks to the X one.

This issue affects the pivot of any object too. Whenever I press d/Insert, etc..., Maya automatically activates the yellow ring, even if I click over the arrows. This renders me unable to edit the pivot position or orientation.

I have already used the install tool to Fix Maya, and have already uninstaled and re-installed the software but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I will attach video to show better what my problem is:

What can I do? 😧

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi!

Try a reset of your preferences.
Rename the folder prefs in folder 2016 to something like prefs_backup, or to reset everything, the folder 2016 to 2016_backup. Maya creates new folders. Detailed at:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Reset-May...

Message 3 of 14

Done, but it didn't solve the problem. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 14

Hi!

What graphic card and driver version do you use?

(Maya needs special Hardware that supports all features of  Viewport 2.0)

Please also try some of the legacy Viewports.

Viewport Menu: Renderer -> Legacy Default Viewport

Message 5 of 14

Well, I switched to the Legacy Viewport.

As for the graphics card, I have an Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000, and the driver versión for that card is the 8.15.10.2626.

Message 6 of 14

Hi!

Intel HD Graphics 4000 is an integrated graphic unit on the CPU is not sufficient for Maya.

You may try switching Viewport 2.0 to DirectX:

Windows -> Settings/Preferences -> Preferences -> Display -> Viewport 2.0 -> Rendering Engine (set to "DirectX")

.. but at the end, you need a "good" graphic card for Maya to run properly.

Message 7 of 14

But, that's strange. I had it installed in my computer and it worked perfectly fine. Then, I had to format my PC due to certain issues and it was then that (after installing it again) Maya stopped working properly.

Though, now a new problem has risen: Maya is no longer letting me open it. During the opening process, it displays some weird messages before closing itself. I will attach some screenshots of the issue.

Captura 1.PNGCaptura 2.PNG

Captura 3.PNG

What could it be?

Message 8 of 14

Hi!

If it worked with the same hardware before, then something changed in software, maybe the graphic card driver.

Please contact Autodesk Support directly, because i don't have the time to assist you with this.

Update your graphic card driver, make a clean install of Maya, update to latest "Service Pack" or "update" Version and maybe reset the preferences.

I'm sorry, but i think i can't do more for you.

Message 9 of 14

Having integrated graphics is not the problem, My Intel Iris 'GPU' in my Macbook is more than sufficient for most basic tasks in Maya. The problem is definitely a settings one. 

Have you checked to see which rotation mode you are in? double-click on the rotation button on the left side of your screen, it should have a drop-down menu at the top...make sure you're in World or Object mode first, before we try and trouble-shoot further.

Message 10 of 14

Thank you for answering to me and sorry for not replying earlier. It has been a very crazy week in college.

Sadly, I can't try what you said because, as I stated earlier, my maya just won't start now =C

I've tried uninstalling and re-instaling it but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Do you know what might be causing the problem?

Message 11 of 14

You could try either reformatting your computer, or using 'Revo Uninstaller' as that will find any tiny files left behind after a 'normal' uninstall. 

You could also try a newer version of Maya perhaps? 2017?

Message 12 of 14

Ok.

I have uninstalled the 2016 version using Revo and installed the 2017 version after that. Now I can open Maya again, but the rotating issue is still there. =(

What do you think could be our next lead? 

By the way, thank you very much for taking on this problem. 😃

Also, in reference to what mspeer recommended a couple of messages ago, I can't ask for Maya support because I'm trying to use the student version of the software.

Message 13 of 14

Well, after many days of trial and error and investigation, it seems that the problem has dissapeared. I think it had something to do with the graphic card not being updated and something related with the DirectX11. Now I can finally work again. 😃

Thank you for your support, guys! 😄

Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I was having the exact same problem and switching from highquality viewport to viewport 2.0 solved it for me.

So it does indeed seem to be a graphics issue but a really strange one!

I also have an integrated card so that's probably it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report