Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinite ocean method?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2686 Views, 15 Replies

Infinite ocean method?

Is there a way in maya to create an infinte ocean like in the bifrost demo and how can I achieve this?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

In The FX menu set, go to 'Fluids->Ocean'.

Message 3 of 16
zouheirito

i'm facing the same problem as you.. 

i think you mean this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcoiugB6WwY

in the second 29 they extended the plane as it is infinite.. i tried to make some tricks but in all my ways it shows the edge.. i wonder if someone could figure it out how to create such infinite ocean without having to simulate all this huge area.. if you get any solution pleas share it

Message 4 of 16
amaurer
in reply to: zouheirito

Any help from Autodesk on this ?

Message 5 of 16
zouheirito

No thank you I already solved it
Message 6 of 16
amaurer

Thanks for sharing then
Message 7 of 16
zouheirito
in reply to: amaurer

1- generate your wave, and spectra wave from BOSS

2- remove BOSS solvers so you can get the same plane you used it to generate wave... same length and width.

3-insert those wave and spectra wav as texture, and use projection map inside hypershade, (  i mean don't assign the texture directly to shader.. but use projection between the wave texture and the shader. and this projection should be plane and take the same size of the plane ( Y Projection) ).

4- try just for test purpose to assign those two textures to color in aiStandardSurface or wahtever shader you wish just to preview it in the viewport and make sure they are matching your BOSS generated before..

5- now you can reassign those projection ( one for wave and one for spectra to a node aiAdd, or average node or whatever you like to add both of them then the result connect it to the displacement vector)

6 if you render you can see the same result which you got with BOSS..... ( my advice is to keep some camera with old BOSS and after displacement from the same angle so you can make the comparison )

7- now if you extend the size of this plane u r using for displacement the wave and spectra will be repeated accordingly. but remember you want only wave spectra to be repeated but the wav not. so you can disable from texture placement wrap u and v ... so it won't be repeated..

8 if you are using Arnold for render then you have to increase the subdivision till you get smooth result...

9 - try also to assign the project of wave to bump map as well to get even more details...

i hope you got the idea and sorry for any spelling mistake previous i was trying to write everything n hurry...

let me know if you got any further inquiry.. good luck 

Message 8 of 16
zouheirito
in reply to: amaurer

Don't forget to mark my answer an solution if you get the result so others can find this method easily..

Message 9 of 16
jlipstock

If you turn off the wrap U,V it stops it from tiling. So then everything outside the original boss deformer will be glass like. As you can see in my attached file, I can't seem to get rid of the repeated tiles. Any ideas how? I'm using 3 different waves, and with different patches for each. My waves look identical to the boss deformed wave in the center. I just need it to tile without the repeating texture.  To be clear i have blended 3 different displacements with different patch sizes.

Thanks! 

Message 10 of 16
kinemaries
in reply to: jlipstock

Did you find any solution to the tiling problem? I am basically getting the same result as @jlipstock

I'd love some advice on getting rid of the tiling on a large scale ocean!   

Message 11 of 16
zouheirito
in reply to: kinemaries

actually there are several techniques to run around this tailing in my opinion … let me try to summarize some:

1: the main reason for tiling is that the mesh which you are using is plane so regular.. try to deform it somehow on two axes X, Z, using lattice or twist or whatever you think you can use so the UV will stay the same but the repeated displacement will not be the same.. I hope you got what I mean.....

2: this one might be little complicated but I hope you will bare with me... well.. you have small plane which you used it as BOSS and then you generate your displacement map then you scaled this plane a lot like 50 times more right? and then you used projection map to project this displacement map on the same plane so it will be repeated.. I think this is what you have done... well now you do some extra job by creating new UV set for the plane and call it whatever you like but this time the new UV will be for the large scale plane, not only for that initial part... so now you have two uv set one for small plane where you will project that displacement and one for the large scale.. now inside hypershade window.. create whatever node you like to mix the displacement map with Noise map, and assign it to displacement shader..  now you have to go to relationship editor and assign ONLY noise map to that big uv set,, ( the whole large scale plane)  so this will give variation for the displacement.... this technique is actually inside HOUDINI where you can generate the wave displacement and also a noise as a mask … maybe i'll try to make some short tutorial to show you how but you try to try it first... 

Message 12 of 16
kinemaries

Thank you for the reply @zouheirito

You're correct in my setup. I have two different boss oceans made and cached out to use as displacement on a larger piece of geoemtry. 

So in trying out method 2 there I stumble upon this problem in the relationship editor. I don't seem to have the ability to choose my noise file. Do you know if my setup is completely wrong to not have it come up as an option?

I've added a screenshot to illustrate. 

Cheers,

Kine 

Message 13 of 16
zouheirito

Seems correct but did u create uv planner with new uv set on the whole plane?
Well I figure out some other way which is quite more effective. Try to crease another Boss wave with different setting and then use this noise as mask using Blend node. But first check if u already created the uv set from uv editor
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

This video is a must-see for the ocean tiling issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JfnR9zqJbY&list=PL8hZ6hQCGHMXurBidpPoX_142LlaAfMVg&index=3&t=0s

You can skip up to minute 1:40 and there you go. I hope this is the solution for your problem.

Cheers

Message 15 of 16
3dforrest

I know this is kind of old but did you ever figure out the solution to getting your Boss infinite ocean displacement not to tile? I read through this thread but it sort of ended with you not being able to get it to work. I'm curious if you ever figured it out and if so, what the solution was, and is it posted anywhere in the thread? Thanks for any feedback from anyone.

Message 16 of 16
3dforrest

Hello @zouheirito  You seem to have a solution to the endless ocean tiling issue but I can't figure it out what it is. Can you please describe in a little more detail exactly what you are doing to achieve this? Perhaps include some screenshots of the Hypershade and other things you mentioned. @kinemaries also got stuck. I completed the tutorial @Anonymous  linked and I have 2 BOSS caches created as projections going into displacement. No matter what I do though, it tiles when you get far enough away and can see a large area of ocean. Why has Maya not just included an infinite ocean yet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report