Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair System Issue

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
purchase
1111 Views, 7 Replies

Hair System Issue

Hey guys!
Has anyone had issues with Maya hair systems creating spikes as seen below? The file appears to be fine, but after saving and re-opening, I get this effect. I started with Fibermesh from Zbrush and converted to curves.

My original file looked like this when rendering:

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cornelh
in reply to: purchase

@purchase

First off What version of Maya are you using?  What is your Operational System?  What is your Graphic card, as this looks like a display issue?  or it could be a code defect.  

Please make sure to run Maya in DG evaluation mode to see if that changes anything..  Settings and Preferences > Preferences > Settings > Animation > Evaluation.. switch from Parallel to DG mode.. 

Make sure you have updated your GPU to the latest drivers (do a clean install if possible).

Le me know how this goes, with more info from you, the better I can help troubleshoot.  I look forward to your reply, and Have a great weekend.

Message 3 of 8
purchase
in reply to: cornelh

Hello!

Thanks so much for the advice. Here are my specs:

Card.PNGspecs.PNG

gforce.PNG

I updated the driver via GeForce, and did a clean install. I also changed the settings in Maya as you suggested. Things still look off, however:

hair.PNG

Message 4 of 8
purchase

I thought it might be helpful to have access to the project file as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttvwz2wsd1ark5x/Character-project.zip?dl=0

Just as an FYI, the file tends to take a while to load. Thank you for your time!

Message 5 of 8
cornelh

@purchase

I opened your file, and mine doesn't go crazy, the only issue I do see, is that when I select one of the eyebrows, there is one error which is solved by bringing the hair count down.  Did you try using Legacy viewport?  this might be something due to your GPU.   I will keep doing tests on my end with other systems (Mac.. etc.. ) to see if I can reproduce what you are getting.  Thank you

no_issues_sameFile.jpg

Message 6 of 8
purchase
in reply to: cornelh

Thanks for checking it out! That's good to know that it doesn't happen on all computers, at least. I did try using all 3 viewport renderers, but they all seem to do the same thing.

Normally I wouldn't mind turning down the hair count for everything, but things start to look really patchy/balding with this particular character when I do...

Message 7 of 8
purchase

Good news - it appears to be working now! I played around with some of the settings for the hair system, and changing the noise method under displacements to Surface UV instead of random seems to have done the trick:

test.PNG

For that one brow I did have to reduce the clump width and increase the hairs per clump to match the other side, too. Weird!

Crossing my fingers that these changes continue to work for the scene. Smiley Happy

fixed1.PNG

render-test.PNG

Message 8 of 8
cornelh

@purchase

Thank for the update, let me know if it works out!  Best of luck on your projects!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report