Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bullet - collider mesh issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
4706 Views, 5 Replies

Bullet - collider mesh issue

I couildn't find an answer on this, and I can't figure out what I was doing to fix this when I used bullet last

If I am setting a passive rigid body and the center of the object, not just the pivot, is not sitting at 0, it seems that it doesn't draw the collider correctly..like it's not detecting the object in world space vs local space..if that makes sense

Anyone knows a good solution to fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
agraham
in reply to: Anonymous

This is a known limitation of the Bullet solver. All local transformations (ie pivot modifications) have to be flushed to worldspace in order for things to work properly.

Try deleting the rigidShape on the geo first, then freezing transformations and making it a rigid body again.

There's some bugs we're working through with this particular scenario, but that should get you where you want to be in the meantime.

--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: agraham

I have actually tried freezing the transformations even before turning it into a bullet object and the collisions still end up underneath depending on how far above 0 the object is... I'll just keep everything at 0 and move them where they need to be...thanks Adrian!
Message 4 of 6
agraham
in reply to: Anonymous

This is the issue with the way Maya freezes transformations: local transform data is not flushed to worldspace. This is kind of a fundamental limitation of how Maya deals with transform nodes and their pivots.

I provided a few scripts in the Maya 2015 Bonus Tools to zero transformations and flush local space transforms to worldspace.

You can see them here:

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/MAYA/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Aautodeskmay...

Specifically, these items:

* Modify -> Zero Pivots -> Keep Pivot Offset and Zero
* Modify -> Zero Pivots -> Center Pivot and Zero
* Modify -> Zero Pivots -> Move Pivot to Base and Zero
* Modify -> Zero Pivots -> Move Pivot to Origin and Zero

--
Adrian Graham
Principal User Experience Designer
ME Film and TV Solutions
Autodesk
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Hey... Maya 2017  and still having issues with Bullet and passive colliders...

Have frozen and reset and frozen again. Geo is all zeros for transform and pivot. Passive collider STILL showing as offset from the geo!

(see screen shot, the selection is the geo, the transparent mesh the collider)

How to get the collider and geo in the same place? How to construct geo so this doesn't happen in the first place?

Thanks!

EDIT: was able to slide the collider into proper alignment by unchecking auto fit and adjusting offset. 

Message 6 of 6
jr200

Thank you.

Using the Zero Pivot menu in the Bonus Tools solved the problem I had with the Maya Bullet Passive Rigid Body - Kinematic type.

My problem was that the collider of the Passive Rigid Body - Kinematic was off of the geometry therefore having no affect on the Dynamic Rigid Bodies. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report