Community
Maya Dynamics
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya dynamics topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOSS resolution

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
HecticElectric
1566 Views, 9 Replies

BOSS resolution

if I make an boss ocean with a 512 resolution, is it possible to increase the resolution without changing the waves itself (just give the waves more detail) so I can do the guide sim in low 512 resolution and the final render with 4096 resolution?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hello @HecticElectric 

I assume that you are changing the resolution within the BossSpectralWave solver like in my screenshot here:

17-01-_2017_15-44-05.jpg

I confirm that when you are changing the resolution, the waves are looking a bit different.

What if you are using a low poly mesh for your low res images and for final renderings you are replacing the mesh with a high poly mesh.

This is described here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-EE7BA5E8-A57F-4664-BEF5-E811CB72C3AD

I hope that is helpful?

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 3 of 10

That's what I'm already doing but it's really slow if you use 4096 resolution for a simple guide sim, you want to be able to up-res later. If you did a guide simulation with a 512 resolution and you decide later that you want high detailed foam or displacement maps from boss than 512 resolution is way too low for rendering but you can't switch to a higher resolution because the waves will be totally different.

Message 4 of 10

Hello @HecticElectric 

it seems that there is no way around at the moment.

A work around with the current system can potentially be to create one or more additional layers of ocean surface for the smaller waves. This would actually give more control than simply upping the res, because you can separately choose the spectrum details for these layers. The boss UI lets you control the range of scales that the additional layers handle.

I hope that is a bit helpful?

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 5 of 10

Hello @HecticElectric

is the workaround ok for you?

Regards

Florian Coenen

Message 6 of 10

No, you still have low resolution foam maps
Message 7 of 10

Hello!  

I want to ask you for help.

To generate foam maps

1. In the Wave Solver list on the left side of the Boss Ripple / Wave Generator window, select the solver for which you want to enable foam.
  2. In the Attribute Editor, activate Enable in the Foam Attributes group of solver's attributes.
    • Use Foam Diffusion Rate to control how quickly the foam values diffuse from where foam is generated to other regions.
    • Use Cusp Scale, Cusp Min, and Cusp Max to control how foam is generated near wave peaks.
    • If desired, activate Use Speed and adjust Speed Min and Speed Max to limit the regions of foam generation based on speed.

Why I can't find Foam Attributes group of solver's attributes?

Thanks and BR.

jerry

Message 8 of 10

Hello!  

I want to ask you for help.

To generate foam maps

1. In the Wave Solver list on the left side of the Boss Ripple / Wave Generator window, select the solver for which you want to enable foam.
  2. In the Attribute Editor, activate Enable in the Foam Attributes group of solver's attributes.
    • Use Foam Diffusion Rate to control how quickly the foam values diffuse from where foam is generated to other regions.
    • Use Cusp Scale, Cusp Min, and Cusp Max to control how foam is generated near wave peaks.
    • If desired, activate Use Speed and adjust Speed Min and Speed Max to limit the regions of foam generation based on speed.

Why I can't find Foam Attributes group of solver's attributes?

Thanks and BR.

jerry

Message 9 of 10

I can find in update 3Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10
zouheirito
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

would you please repeat what you said but little bit with details... I didn't understand many points like the boss ui can handle range of scale.... I think what you said is important, but I need to understand well.... in boss you will get always one BOSSOUTPUT for no matter how many mesh plane you have.. is there anyway to create many bossoutput in the same scene?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report