Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IK pole vector twisting issue

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
7005 Views, 4 Replies

IK pole vector twisting issue

Hi everyone,

I have a rig with slightly bowed legs. and I have issue for creating the pole vector constraint.

So, I created a rotate plane IK first than I created an orient constraint for my foot and then

when I want to finish of with a pole vector this happens (watch the provided GIF file).

I have been looking around and asking some VFX students at my school for a solution but no one seems to be able to help me out. Maybe you know how?

53789573_403757653688883_6400270598466961408_n.gif

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dinofiguera
in reply to: Anonymous

hello,

Can you share the file?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dinofiguera

For some reason it excluded my file form my topic this also happens when I try add it to my reply so I'll send you a

download link  🙂

Message 4 of 5
dinofiguera
in reply to: Anonymous

hello,

I checked your file.
Maybe the problem comes from your attempt to follow the leg orientation with your joints, resulting in different orientation of the joints axes along the leg.
I guess You can fix the main Pole vector issue by rotating a little bit back the knee joints, right click on them, choose "set preferred angle", then rotate them back in place and create now the IK handle. This way you help Maya to understand how you want to move the legs.
Some joints might move a little on IK handle creation though.
Usually, it is better to keep the joints orientations consistent along the legs.
hope this helps,

Cheers

D

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: dinofiguera

Thanks! Preferred angle did the trick. I found a very useful video for those who run into the same issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report