Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with Tyre Rigging with disc brake

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dammydinao
241 Views, 1 Reply

Help needed with Tyre Rigging with disc brake

Hi there,

I'm rigging a car which has tyres with visible disc pads.

At the moment the tyre is grouped with its individual components, I would like to know how to exclude the disc pad component from a group action while still keeping it in the group. The group is controlled by a nurb circle which also rotates the tyre. I would appreciate any help I can get about this issue. Thank You.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.13.27.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
gvok
in reply to: dammydinao

orient constrain and point constrain the brake assembly to a transform that doesnt get rotated (spun with the wheel). your wheel rig should have a minimum of (from top down) group1 for translation of the entire rig, group2 - steering on a single axis (y), group3 - up/down motion for the entire wheel assembly (eg driving over bumps), group4- wheel roll and optionally toeing in (or tilting) of the wheel (on performance cars) but make sure your rotate orders are correctly set otherwise add the toeing in on an additional group node just above the wheel roll group. Its not ideal to have your brakes and wheels all grouped under the same node if you can avoid it. Generally its better to receive the model as un-grouped as possible and do your grouping in the rig file for reasons of flexibility. In fact I'd keep all the geo out of the rig herarchy and constrain (or even potentially skin) the parts to the rig. This is good for a number of reasons including being able to bake the animation of the geometry in worldspace.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report